Tuesday, July 15, 2008

This Job Opportunity is the Bomb!

Scouting around in The Economist, I found what has to be the best covertly worded ad for a job yet. JP, if you're looking for work this may well be for you. Although we'll have to play off some of its requirements. I love The Economist, by the way. While I was in grad school, I had to do without it because there just wasn't any time to read a weekly on top of everything else. But you have to love a weekly mag that's been around since 1843 for the sole purpose of "taking part in a severe contest between intelligence, which presses forward, and an unworthy, timid ignorance obstructing our progress." Woot! One of the best parts of The Economist is the number of job ads in the magazine for jobs that are WAY over most people's capabilities. It's amusing to me to see how such jobs get described and what their requirements are.

But this has to be the best job posting I've seen in a while. Pay close attention to the beauty of how this thing is written:

Palestinian National Authority

The PNA seeks to employ a small number of consultants to assist in the implementation of its action plan. These consultants will be hired on a short-term contract basis for one year and will be required to work full-time in Ramallah, Palestine.
Experience
Candidates must have specific experience and proven expertise in one or more of the following areas.
--International Relations and Protocol --Communications, Media and Public Relations --Social Policy --Economic Policy --International Development Policy --Project and Change Management --Executive Office Administration and Executive Assistance

Qualifications

Candidates must possess the follow ing qualifications:
--Bachelors Degree or higher --Minimum of 3-10 years experience working in a professional capacity in the public or private sector --Comfortable working with senior executives in a challenging and time-pressured environment --Excellent written and oral communi cation skills in Arabic and English.


OK, I know this is, well, wrong on many fronts, but the only thing I could think of the whole time I was reading this ad was: suicide bomber. After all, it's a short term contract on site. Explosions definitely affect social, economic and and international development policy. And they cause quite the stir in the media and with communications. You have to understand protocol to even get to blow yourself up somewhere for the biggest impact. Change management -- huh. I think that one goes without saying. Nothing says "time pressured environment" like a ticking bomb. And everything certainly comes down from the senior executives. You can actually find this listed on Monster.com.

Oh, come on. What were you expecting the PNA to consult with you about?

-- DV

1 Comments:

Blogger JP said...

I wonder what sort of "oral and written communication" might be required of a suicide bomber. Maybe they need someone who can craft a poetic suicide note that has a strong thesis and structured argument.

"Dear Infidels,
Your world has oppressed me in its Foucaultian hegemony long enough. I can't parse my place in it any longer. I'm going to deconstruct your bodies and your ashes will litter the literal and existential cityscape.
All my love,
JP"


If I can't get a job that contributes to society, I might as well get one that takes me out in a blaze of glory!

Wednesday, 16 July, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats