Friday, October 23, 2009

Credit Card Catastrophe

From the comments section in the most recent post:

"Additionally, many cards will soon be charging 5% minimum payment instead of 2%, which is more than doubling what you would be paying per month -- some people just aren't going to be able to afford this, especially with the economic conditions going on now."

This is one of the smarter regulations put in by the government. It is not the credit card companies that want people to pay more, they realize when individuals only pay the minimum 2% balance on their cards now they are not touching the principal portion of their debt and will never be able to pay off their balance. So, they have a consumer right where they want them a lifelong slave to the credit card company. By increasing the minimum payment balance to 5 percent it is ensuring that individuals who should've never put themselves in financial crisis to begin with by using credit instead of actually spending money they had, will actually begin to put a dent in the financial mess they created for themselves
.


Anon, your first statement is simply wrong. The government did not put this regulation in place, and for good reason. The credit card companies put that new rule in place, although some like Bank of America have recently come out to say they will not raise the minimum payment percentage. Yes, it forces people to pay more on their principle and in theory that would get them out of debt faster. And I would agree with you that much of the debt Americans have gotten themselves into shouldn't have been racked up in the first place. But you have your facts wrong, and I'm afraid you're not thinking about the actual financial implications of this decision.

The government actually ruled that credit card companies could NOT impose rate hikes on customers (who weren't in default), and that law kicks in February 2010. To make sure they could get more money out of people, the credit card companies decided to hike the minimum pay back percentage to 5% during the grace period before the new rule takes effect, because the new law says nothing about raising the minimum payments, only stipulating that cc companies give 45 days notice to customers before changes are made. The only way out of the situation is to call the cc company and "opt out" -- but that means you must close the card down and make no new charges, which ultimately hurts your FICO credit score, because it is partly a measure of how much credit you have access to. You reduce that amount when you close a card down, which is why it is better to pay it off and leave it open rather than close it. A damaged FICO score means you will have a harder time qualifying for a good credit deal on everything from insurance for your car to the percentage you have to pay on a bank loan.

Mandatorily raising the minimum repayment amount is not the bright idea you think it is. The average American household has about $8300 in credit card debt. At a 2.5% minimum payment, they are paying on average a little over $200/month as a minimum balance. They can always pay more, but they have to pay at least that much. With this increase, it means that the average household must now pay $415/month minimum, without choice. If they cannot pay this 100% increase in minimum payments, then they will be hit by penalties and automatically fall out of the protection of the federal rule that does not allow cc companies to jack interest rates to 32%. Once they have defaulted once on a payment, that 32% kicks in.

Now how hard will it be to get out of debt, with your minimum payment at $415, and the interest rate at 32%? Do the math for a typical American household on 32% interest for $8300, and you'll discover that raising the minimum payment to 5% won't help these people get out of debt -- once the twin problems of 32% and 5% minimum are in play. With the number of people having difficulty paying their debts, with all the unemployed folks out there, could there be a worse time to raise the minimum payment? This is a catastrophe waiting to happen. And this is just on the personal level -- think of the small businesses that use their credit cards as a line of credit for growth and development. Who, in fact, have been explicitly encouraged to think of their cards as a business line of credit by credit card commercials! Doubling their minimum payments hurts small business owners at a time when small businesses are being forced into bankruptcy right and left. It's a piss poor idea.

People who can get out of credit card debt and can pay more than the minimum payments often do. Once you are forced to pay that much more, you'll have to start digging the money out of some place else. Maybe it'll come out of the "right" spots. Maybe you'll eat out less or stop going to the spa. And those folks who live above their budgets are one thing, sure. But there are lots of Americans who are living within their means, and this move is going to drive some of them to default on their credit cards, which is going to drive up the interest rates on their other financial products like car insurance, mortgage loans, car financing, student loan payback percentages, etc. The market is all interconnected. We'll see the ripples from this shortly after it becomes permanent for a lot of people.

Personal note, my Bank of America card raised my APR by several unacceptable percentage points several months ago. I didn't have a lot on the card, I hadn't missed payments or made late payments. So I called to find out why I was being punished, and they couldn't give me a good answer. They said that they were having to raise rates on everybody in order to collect form the few people they couldn't get money from. I promptly closed the account, and told them they had permanently lost any future money from me, once the balance was paid off. If that's how they want to treat good customers, I don't want to do business with them. I wouldn't touch a Chase card with somebody else's wallet. That's why I'm sticking to my credit union credit card -- which has done absolutely none of the things that the giant banks (who took your tax dollars in the form of bailout money) are doing to people during one of the worst economic disasters in our history.

Screw them. Go to a credit union.

-- DV

10 Comments:

Anonymous mad dog said...

I have heard that it is wise to avoid the big banks altogether and go for a smaller one(s) instead. This is due to the fact that the bigger banks are in so much debt themselves that a lot of them are in danger of collapsing.

I have also heard that because of all the trouble that the banks have gotten themselves into, they are now going after average consumers in a desperate attempt to get more money so that the banks can stop themselves from drowning.

Saturday, 24 October, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Punish the rich people. Especially, the ones who are JOY-ful and like the color green.

Saturday, 24 October, 2009  
Blogger JP said...

JP, your economically challenged reader, would like to know where these credit unions are and how to join the party. I've heard good things. They bring money-dollars, happiness, and free beer!

Or so I've heard.

Sunday, 25 October, 2009  
Blogger contemplator said...

Punish the rich people. Especially, the ones who are JOY-ful and like the color green

Dude ... is that the best you can do at intimidation? LOLOLOL.

How sad and pathetic. And here I thought Penn State gave people a quality education. Their computer labs will certainly be interested in the IP hits that come from there; they'll especially be interested in the use of school property to level threats at people.

That sort of thing gets kids kicked out of school. Tsk, tsk.

For the record, I'm not hard to find. I care very little about how much personal information you've managed to figure out about me. I just chuck all such comments -- along with their appropriate IP tag -- into an online folder. In case, you know, the cops should need evidence of idiocy.

Sunday, 25 October, 2009  
Blogger contemplator said...

JP -- credit unions are just like regular banks, but normally there is some sort of catch to joining them. At least there used to be. Most universities have credit unions, and just being a member of the university is usually all it takes to open an account. Or sometimes it's working at a certain place or living in a certain area. There are 52 different credit unions near you. Just google your city and "credit union" and they pop up.

Pick one and go for it!

Sunday, 25 October, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never really thought saying I hate money is a crime wow, you blow things out of proportion. Yea I see your little stat counter, but like I told you before I don't care who you really are. Even though, I know who you are, but I will not tell because that is what you want and I respect it. It's called you leave me alone and I will leave you alone. No need for me to rat people out, that is for 5 yr olds. If you could just do what I asked you to do before I would appreciate it. Trust me I will not click on this site anymore. I do have enough respect for you to not put your business out there.

Sunday, 25 October, 2009  
Blogger contemplator said...

As I said, I could care less if you've "figured out" who I am. I don't have criminal charges against my name, what does it matter to me?

I must have missed something somewhere. What exactly was it you asked me to do?

Sunday, 25 October, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just remove the certain bloggers about me seriously, I have enough respect for you and I will respect your identity. It would be childish of me to use it against you. I am 22 yrs old and i just want to move on. Like I told you before, its your name and I respect you cause you said you are a free thinker and I am cool with that. You seem like you have good moral values and I respect that and you don't seem like a showoff. I guarantee you, if you take down the certain bloggers I will never click on this site. I promise you. I just want to be left alone its enough already.

Sunday, 25 October, 2009  
Blogger contemplator said...

Apostalo, I figured that was you. Now your name is tied to your IP address, which means that Penn State can track the IP addresses, dates and time stamps to your student log in ID and password, verifying it's you who is doing all the commenting from their labs, which violates your user agreement for their technology.

This is the last time I'm going to address you, so pay attention. I'm not taking down the posts you're asking me to do. I have all your threatening comments and IP hits saved in a folder, including the comments you deleted on earlier pages. You have a record for harassment, and don't think for a second that I would hesitate a nanosecond to add to it. I have already made Penn State's IT department and the security department aware of what is going on. And I have the evidence to back it up.

In short, go find another hobby besides harassing me on my blog. You're not getting what you want out of me, and you never will. Further threatening comments and activity on your part are just going to get you in a whole lot of trouble. I'm done commenting back at you, as you're not worth the time and space. Get lost. Or get arrested. Your choice.

Sunday, 25 October, 2009  
Anonymous Tamara Holmes said...

When choosing to reduce credit card debt, some people choose to use professional help such as an attorney or a credit counseling service to settle for them. These are good idea, but there are a few basic things to keep in mind here as well. First, the counselor should consider the individual's entire personal finances and should consider their entire financial lifestyle and on building a solid financial foundation.

Monday, 02 November, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats