Friday, July 27, 2007

Birthday Madness! (Post 2)

(Obviously I'm still not over the birthday thing yet.)

Every year on my birthday my Grandma would call me and ask me if I felt any different today. The answer was usually no. When I turned 24, I felt different. I felt like an "adult." It was truly a physical feeling. I haven't experienced it since until a week from my 30th birthday. I got really excited about being 30. Most women I know who've been through it cry. I'm pretty jazzed.

Psychologically, it means two things to me. First, it means that people have to listen to me. Stop laughing! I can't be written off as a kid with no life experience anymore. Even though I've had way more life experience than I would normally have chosen, 30 means something to other people that "late twenties" doesn't. So take me seriously now, dammit. I may even follow up what I say with an announcement of my age. "You shouldn't vote for him. I'm 30 years old." To give it extra weight, maybe. Second, it means that I've entered the era of health maintenance. In my mind, 30 is the age that shit starts happening to women. So I'm in the process of scheduling checkups for things that I should've been doing all along. It just got more serious to me this past week.

I'm not scared about growing older. I'm doing well at this stage in my life. I'm finally going in the direction I want to go. I've got a good nuclear family. I'm pleased with my education (if a bit done with it already). I'm pleased with my work. All the accumulated experiences of my life have coalesced to give me one hell of a backbone. I know what I stand for. I'm comfortable enough to change if I need to.

If I could give one piece of advice to the "youngsters" out there (you know, those people who aren't yet 30), it would be to get into the practice of asking why something is the way it is. You can't sit there? Why? They won't raise your salary? Why? And make sure you get a good answer. If the person claims they don't know, ask the follow up questions: who does know, and how can I talk to that person? Many of your troubles will be solved right there.

The second piece of advice? No one is bothering to pay attention to how you look. They're too busy worrying about how they look. So go out and live your life.

It's been a good life, in spite of everything. Many happy returns. What's your birthday advice?

-- Virgil

6 Comments:

Blogger contemplator said...

You can't sit there because I said you couldn't, that's why.

:D

Saturday, 28 July, 2007  
Blogger samuel said...

I'm a grown-ass-man! I sit where I want to!

Sunday, 29 July, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey happy belated birthday!

Sunday, 29 July, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

- Cập nhật nhạc chuông chế hài liên tục mới nhất tại đây, tai nhac chuong tre miễn phí cho tất cả các dòng điện thoại hiện nay nhanh nhất
- tai nhạc chuông hài hước độc đáo vui nhộn, những bản nhạc nghe đã thấy buồn cười, sảng khoải cho mọi điện thoại

Thursday, 27 April, 2017  
Blogger Hong Nga said...

trang tải nhạc mp3 miễn phí. Kho nhạc mp3 chất lượng cao. Bạn có thể nghe nhạc online, download nhạc miễn phí về máy

Thursday, 26 March, 2020  
Blogger NVT Game said...

CÓ phải bạn đang muốn tải nhạc chuông cho điện thoại, nhưng chưa lựa chọn được ứng dụng hay website nào có bài hát mình cần, Vậy thì truy cập ngay https://NhacChuong.Pro, website chia sẻ nhạc chuông hay cho điện thoại. Với đầy đủ các thể loại nhạc, và các đoạn nhạc chuông được cắt ghép tỉ mỉ chắc chắn sẽ đem lại cho bạn những bản nhạc chuông thú vị.
Một số chủ đề nhạc chuông phổ biến trên hệ thống NhacChuong.Pro:
Nhạc trẻ
Nhạc bolero
Nhạc Xuân
Nhạc Cách mạng
Nhạc Thiếu nhi
Nhạc Remix, DJ
Nhạc chế
Nhạc Tiktok hay
nhạc Rap
Nhạc không lời
Nhạc QUảng cáo
Nhạc Theo tên
Nhạc trung quốc, hàn quốc, nhật bản, nước ngoài hay

Thursday, 26 March, 2020  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats