Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Why I'm Awesome

So, Meg hit me up with the 7 Things That Make You Awe-Summm! meme. Naturally. So, after giving it some thought, here are my responses in all their arrogant glory. Sadly, however, she's already tagged all the bloggers I "regularly read." So, I'll leave it open to whoever hits here who wants to do it. Batmite!, you could do this up right. JP, I probably wouldn't bother if I were you. Even your own brother likes me better than you.

Here are the 7 things that make me AWESOME.

1. I have the neatest kid in the world. I know everybody says that, but it's true, at least for me. I couldn't have picked a more perfect fit, even though sometimes I think we're worlds different. My kid has a serious humanist conscience, isn't afraid to stand up to authority (documented since first grade), makes awesome three dimensional art, and is a good friend. He's pretty funny, too. And I've worked hard to make sure he trusts me to tell me the serious stuff -- which works so far, even though sometimes I think it's too much information!

2. I am a writer. It's part of the core of who I am, and I'm pretty good, if I do say so myself. I have a good sense of "perspective," I have an ear/eye for detail, and I do my best when I'm paying attention to human motivation. One of these days, you'll get to see for yourself. ;)

3. I have a thing for The Truth. I don't like seeing people lied to, even if it's something stupid like deadlines that aren't really deadlines. I'm not saying I've never told a lie, which would obviously be a lie. I'm just saying I don't like seeing people manipulated through lies. I think that's one reason I'm still in education. I want to help people figure out how to use the tools to figure out things for themselves.

4. I have backbone. Maybe it's genetic predisposition, but I have a sense of Righteous Indignation that latches on like a pitbull and won't let go. Granted, sometimes that doesn't work out so hot. But if you're getting screwed over by Teh Mann, come and see me about it. Chances are I can get worked up enough over it to help you out. I'm not very physically impressive (well, ex-boyfriends would disagree, but I mean in an intimidation kind of way -- although they might disagree with that, too). But I learned when I was ten years old that most battles are battles of words, and most people bluff, so, why not open your big mouth and see what happens? Having backbone actually got me a university award, a job and a few less problems in life. One of the best concepts I ever learned was just to open your mouth and ask "Why is it that way?" followed by, "Who says?" and then, "Can I talk to that person?"

5. I can stir me some shit. Sort of goes along with "backbone," but sometimes there are situations that require more finesse than a full frontal assault. Like most things, for example. This is the upshot of not being physically intimidating. Looking like a naive little girl can have its perks when you're ready to stir some shit. I only stir shit for a good cause, though. And sometimes for personal amusement.

6. I think I'm a pretty good teacher. I'm sure you'd find some disagreement there. But my evaluations say otherwise. There are a handful of students I talk to and a couple that I'm pretty close to. I realize that for some people that's boundary crossing, but I'll have lunch with these kids any time. They're like stepkids or foster kids to me. I think it's precisely because I care about them that I am a good teacher. I think my approach is something like a layman's terms meets den mother. Students come into my office and plop down just to tell me how much they hate their roommate. Students bring me presents (yes, after grades are over). Students email me just to tell me how life is going. They pop in just to see what I'm doing. They try to Facebook me, even though I've tried to hide myself thoroughly. I think they like me -- they really like me! And I think part of it is that I'm fascinated with them. I like seeing them make connections. I like watching them "get it". I'm voyueristic that way. And I guess they like being watched. We've now taken a turn for the creepy.

7. I'm the person you want to take along if you want to go out. And do whatever. Because I'm basically down for whatever, and I enjoy so many things you can't really go wrong by going out with me. Unless you've done something to piss me off, you've always had a good time. I clean up nice. I look good in a dress or in leather pants. You can drink beer with me and I won't embarrass you when the waiter brings out the good wine. I'm a good conversationalist. We can talk about everything from the next Revolution to Reality TV. We can go yell at boxers or we can go to an opera. We can go to the Derby in dresses and hats, or we can go to a muddy field concert and get drunk and mock the band to the point they have to acknowledge it (happened twice, first time with Nickleback and second time with Black Eyed Peas). We can do whatever. Because I'm down like that. :)

Et tu?

1 Comments:

Blogger Meg_L said...

You aren't the least bit conceited, are you?

I enjoyed the list.

Wednesday, 29 July, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats