Friday, September 21, 2007

So, what now?

Edit: Apparently, the easiest, low impact way to check for dyslexia is an eye exam. You can ask your optometrist to screen for dyslexia. It's as simple as checking out a different chart with your eye exam. So we'll be doing that soon. In the meantime, Dante has just started a phonics intensive reading group, so we'll see how that goes.

Just got back from a parent/teacher meeting for Dante. It was the usual list of things that make Dante who he is--very social, talks nonstop, has organizational trouble. And that he switches letters around sometimes. And that he sometimes writes his numbers completely backward. 531 becomes 135. Behind the teacher on a section of the chalkboard were the post-it notes the kids had filled out with their predictions on the outcome of the football game this Saturday. The teacher has them all write down their predictions, and then the next Monday, the whole class checks to see who came closest. They love this activity. My son had "WVU: 2P E. Carolina: 13". He had WVU for 29 points. But his 9s sometimes come out like P's.

He's always flipped his letters--especially p, q, b, and d and sometimes g. I made a visual drawing when he was young of the word "bed" to help him figure out which way the b and the d go. I made it look like a real bed made out of the letters, and he doesn't flip them around that much anymore, but it still happens. He reads ok sometimes--hell, he won a medal for best third grade reader last year--but he doesn't seem to be very fluent with reading--mostly seems to be a phonics problem. He got the medal for going through books and testing on comprehension. So he knows what's going on. But if it were a read-aloud contest, he'd be wa-ay behind. It's so weird, because we have books in the house, and he reads of his own free will every single day--mostly Calvin & Hobbes. He can do phonics worksheets, but has an absolute bitch of a time with spelling words. If you give his words out loud to him, he claps his hands over his eyes, like the rest of the room is screwing with his visual picture of the word in his head. He has a really hard time spelling it out loud, but he does better when he writes it down.

Speaking of his writing, he often crams his letters and words alltogetherlikethiswithnexttonospacebetweenthem. His letters can be all different sizes. He doesn't always stay on the line--it looks like a struggle for him. I thought it was because he was a) a boy b) in a hurry and c) didn't give a crap about writing. Now I wonder if it's something else. It's true that he rushes things. He has a hard time sitting in one place for long, as anyone who has met him can attest to. Hell, he has a hard time staying motionless for more than five seconds.

When he was little, I wondered if he was dyslexic. Now I wonder if he's both mildly dyslexic and dysgraphic.

I know he's not ADHD, because he can concentrate on projects for a long time, if he's interested. But if they involve words, they're always creatively spelled. Sometimes he doesn't even spell the same word the same way in the next sentence. The teacher, whom I really like, hesitantly suggested that we get him tested. I think I will. He wants to switch Dante into some other reading group and do some other things with him first, which I was happy he didn't just jump into the labelling frenzy that most grade school teachers like to do. But just the same, this is something I've been noticing, and I think I'll check into getting him tested. It's not like he screws up every other word. But sometimes he does. It would certainly explain why he seems to forget his papers, school bag, planner, something all the time. Now, I'm not panicking and misattributing regular boy stuff to a disorder--I don't think. All the other little boys he knows lose things. He loses things a lot more regularly than other little boys. He also continually switches his lunch number. When he goes through the lunch line, his number is (for sake of argument) 1234. Every day he'll say 1324, or 2134. He switches one of the numbers. The lunch lady is getting huffy with him and threatening to not give him his lunch if he can't remember his number. Mommy is about to take her head off. Why in the hell do adults threaten kids' basic sense of security to get them to do little things? I'll never understand that.

Dyslexia is inherited in 80% of cases. Who the hell has it on either side of his family? Nobody has ever talked about anyone else having the same kinds of problems. But it would certainly explain why his dad had so much trouble in school, even through college. I think my dad had it. They never diagnosed that kind of thing when he was in school in the fifties, though. My sister and I are fine. Dads have a 20% chance of passing it on to daughters. Dads have a 40% chance of passing it on to sons. Moms have a 35% chance of passing it to a son, only 7% if the mother isn't dyslexic herself. Maybe he was 47% more likely to get it??

At any rate, I don't know what to do now. Which is ironically sad, considering that in my line of work, I sometimes encounter dyslexic adults.

I have no idea what to do at this moment.

-- Virgil

13 Comments:

Blogger JP said...

He's not dyslexic. He's just postmodern.

Publish a collection of his class worksheets and call them "Dante's Inverted Inferno." It'll be required reading in grad classes in 2 years.

Friday, 21 September, 2007  
Blogger contemplator said...

Um. I'm sure you're both posting this to make me feel better. Right? Because this discovery is causing me some fucking minor trauma right now.

Friday, 21 September, 2007  
Blogger JP said...

Well, as someone who comes from a family filled with people with learning disabilities, I can say with some confidence that every learning disability comes with its upsides.

My one brother has ADHD, but he has a ridiculously wide range of interests as a result. Another brother has Asperger's Syndrome, which causes him to become EXTREMELY focused on a single subject (in his case - video games and electronics). He really struggles in English, but he blows everyone else out of the water in computer science. Another brother has Narcissistic Personality Disorder (which is exactly what it sounds like), and the upside of that is... well... I guess he has high self-esteem.

In any case, my parents had trouble dealing with all them in elementary school. There's no frame of reference. They couldn't understand *how* they were thinking differently from everyone else.

But in high school, things improved dramatically. All of my brothers essentially learned to cope with their respective problems themselves. They adapted themselves and their environment to suit their problems. My Asperger's brother simply focuses on what he likes (which is a lot easier in high school). My ADHD brother took a wide variety of classes and did bits and pieces of different homework assignments at different times. The narcissistic brother.... he kinda became an asshole now that I think about it. But given the disorder, that actually makes a lot of sense.

I know next to nothing about dyslexia and other related learning problems. But you never know: Dante might one day be very good at decrypting and decoding things because of his ability to look at words in new and different ways.

And besides, from what I know of him, he's a good and sociable kid with plenty of friends and a mom who really takes an interest in his education. I suspect he'll be just fine. :)

Friday, 21 September, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dn't worry about it. If you're that worried, get him tested. Maybe ask his teacher what she thinks.

I've started having problems where I get my d and b the wrong way around occasionally, and my 3 and E wrong way around. It's confusing. It's because I can write back to front so i flip numbers over.

Just dont' stress about it as it'll seem like a bigger thing to Dante and he'll start worrying. Just chill. Get him tested.

Friday, 21 September, 2007  
Blogger Meg_L said...

Getting him tested in a low intensive way to assess his problems. Once you have that data, it's easier to judge how much needs to be done.

Hang in there

Saturday, 22 September, 2007  
Blogger samuel said...

You're the best person to know if he needs testing, but it could turn out not to be a problem. I'd imagine the teacher, recognizing what he's doing, can tell if he's learning the material. That's more important than getting numbers or letters turned the right way. I can also imagine he might have a lot on his mind in general, and perhaps to him, this isn't his biggest concern right now.

Sunday, 23 September, 2007  
Blogger Tory said...

Wow, sounds like you're describing my daughter! I have never had her tested, so I have no advice to offer on that front. I tend to have a general distrust for people who dispense labels. It seems they are either overly anxious to slap every label in the book at a kid, or they look at you like you're crazy because your child happens to be sitting politely in their office, whereas apparently most kids climb the walls. I don't suppose I would mind an official label if I felt it was a proper label. But those seem hard to come by.

Sunday, 23 September, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

I would post your son's story to someplace like The Well-Trained Mind Special Needs board or the TAG forums. You'll get quick feedback from some smart btdt parents.

Could this be a vision issue? You may receive suggestions from the btdt parents about developmental optometrists and vision therapy. I'm not sure how I feel about this -- usually very expensive and I think there are some quacks out there. The pediatric ophthalmology practice at WVU is very good, if you do go that route.

Margaret from the local homeschooling group

Sunday, 23 September, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thing is - it may be a label, but you don't have to label your child if that makes sense. It's best to work out whats wrong with Dante first before panicking. It's better to find out when he's younger and just find out as atleast you'll know.

Sunday, 23 September, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe picture or simple crosswords might help with spacing and emphasising the order of letters. Word find puzzles?

I could imagine getting him to sit still would be challenge 1 and making it fun challenge 2.

Friday, 28 September, 2007  
Blogger contemplator said...

He sits still for a long time when he's interested in what he's doing. The extra little games don't seem to be the problem.

The problem seems to be when he's in a situation like spelling tests: the teacher reads the word out loud and he has to write it down from memory or if he has to spell it out loud. Then he flips stuff quite regularly. I've noticed recently that he'll flip the middle of words and the endings of words, if he's saying it out loud. So it's not just the p, q, b, d, g thing at all.

He can do word searches all the time, because his brain processes just a few of the letters and then declares it to be that word. It's when he has to tell the difference between "coach" and "couch" or even "coach" and "crunch" that we start getting into trouble. His brain catches a few "key" letters, and then he'll assume it's one word when it's really another.

Part of it is that he's just going too fast. Another part of it is "whole word" instruction versus phonics, which can really screw a kid up sometimes if they don't do phonics first.

Friday, 28 September, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mother said that as a kid, she had a difficult time spelling and using grammar. Her mother, my grandmother, had a solution that was relatively simple. Make her write the words correctly about 100 times. My mother claimed that it worked.

Saturday, 06 October, 2007  
Blogger contemplator said...

Well, if you just have trouble remembering the rules, that's one thing. But when your brain misinterprets what the eye sees, all the repetition in the world won't help.

Saturday, 06 October, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats