Monday, August 04, 2008

Fat Lady Sang Saturday

Sigh. What a way to end. My last three days at my literacy job involved 1) the end of year statistics report (for both counties) where we count up everybody we served, etc., 2) the second annual golf tourney, at which I was ranking staff member, which means I ran around most of the time keeping people's heads from popping off and shaking the hands of important people and 3) participating in a mandatory United Way fund raising event that starts at 6:30 in the bloody morning.

Someone asked me how I felt about it being my last day (which was Saturday). My response was, "I'm too tired to notice." I certainly gave up my pound of flesh. Right now I've got two weeks of no real job until school starts back. Well, that's not exactly true. I need to shore up my lesson plans and my syllabi for this semester--it's mostly done but not complete. It's in the dotting of the i's and crossing of the t's phase. I've already been to several important committee meetings, where everybody else on the team outranked me by a lot--as in really high on the administrative scale (deans & assoc. deans). It's a weird feeling being the known puppy in the room. I think they're looking at me like I have big paws that I should grow into. Bizarre.

So for now, I'm at home with the kittehs. Yep, there's two of them now. A grey poof of fuzz named Lady Jane Grey, whom we call Jane for short. I have pics of her on my new digital camera, if only I could figure out how to get them out of the camera and onto the computer. Stand by.

It's a really interesting time in my life. I've worked two jobs and gone to graduate school for two years. This will literally be the first year in my life where I wasn't working two jobs at once. I'm not quite sure what to do with myself.

-- Virgil

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats