Monday, May 04, 2009

I Can Soon Add "Baker" To My Resume

OK, without properly thinking it through (yeah, I know, when does that ever happen??), I've ended up with a teaching assignment this summer that is probably going to warp my brain to the point where it breaks. Because I teach an at risk group of college students as a mentor-teacher, and because I did such a good job this year, one of the people in the Upward Bound program asked if I'd be willing to teach English to the Upward Bound kids this summer. UB is a program that takes high school kids and tries to prepare them for college in a few key subjects, English being one of them. They come from local high schools, stay in the dorms while they're here, eat on campus, have "classes" and take field trips. It's supposed to get them excited about college, basically, so they'll have more motivation to go. There is a girl in one of my sections now who is in college because of the UB program; she says it makes college seem like a natural next step, and you stop thinking of it as an "option", but rather start thinking "How can I make sure I get there." The kids also tend to be from that same at risk group I teach in the Fall anyway. It seemed like a natural fit.

I actually need a little summer work to help us get through the lack of a paycheck until Fall. We have an emergency fund designed for this problem, but I don't like bleeding it down so much. So, I said yes. I figured since this was college prep, I'd have high school seniors. I love teaching college freshmen, and while I wasn't exactly too keen on getting high school seniors, as they tend to have a bad case of I'm-not-in-school-anymore-itis, I figured they were close enough to my preferred demographic it wouldn't really matter. Turns out, no.
I'm not getting the high school seniors. They're taking other courses for credit. I'm getting the underclassmen. Sophomores and Juniors. And something they call "fast rising ninth graders," which makes them sound like a batch of yeast muffins. Oh, God, no. That was not the plan. I don't want to teach yeast muffins. I wanted to teach kids who were relatively close to college age. I don't want people still freaking out on hormones! I got the sheet of paper a few days ago with the list of my people on it -- one has the number "8" under her listed grade. EIGHT?! Does that mean she's considered a fast rising muffin, or does that mean I've been duped into taking an eighth grader??

I have no training in dealing with high school kids. I mean, granted, most of my freshmen are 18 years old, and a few of them have been 17 when they come in for fall semester. But it's different. They're not eighth graders. What the hell am I going to do? Hell, I won't even be able to say "hell" anymore? What jokes will I tell them? How on earth will we bond, if I can't cuss?!

Imagine, if you will, all the pains of trying to get 18 year olds to discuss gender roles in our society, or race issues or, *gasp*, equal rights for gays. Now, imagine these readings presented to fast rising muffins, who've likely never thought of this before in their entire lives. GAH. I knew I was going to have to cut down what I was doing for them, make it a little easier. But I do readings and we discuss them. It's a critical part of the process. I'm probably going to have to rethink my whole approach to that now.

What I think I'm really bitching about is that when I said yes, I thought it would be less work. I'm quickly realizing it's going to be more. Much more. What the hell have I gotten myself into? This can only end poorly.

-- DV

After some online discussion of this matter (what better way to get advice??), I have decided to replace every curse word I would normally say with "smurf." I'm going to introduce myself by declaring, "Since I'm not allowed to curse in front of you, I've decided to replace every curse word with 'smurf.' So let's check the smurfing attendance roll, OK?"

8 Comments:

Anonymous mad dog said...

Just imagine if we have universal post secondary education. English teachers like you will be up to their ears in numbskulls like these.

Monday, 04 May, 2009  
Blogger contemplator said...

Mad Dog, the easy way around "numbskulls" (which I'm not sure how you got that from my post -- they're not stupid, just very underexposed to the world) is to continue admissions requirements for universal post secondary ed still have to meet admissions requirements. You still have to have the grades.

If you're interested in universal post sec ed, there's some great material out there; I'd start with Jeffrey Williams' stuff. It's astounding the role student debt has taken in screwing with people's lives.

Monday, 04 May, 2009  
Anonymous mad dog said...

Some people are just not fit for college. Just watch Animal House. I came up with the word on my own. It may not be politically correct, but certain people

'Universal Post secondary education' really means that everyone depends on the government for even more. It means that fewer people act like responsible people. It means that more students will waste their nights on beer pong rather than studying, because college is free. It also means that the government gets to shove its agenda down the college's throats. Students learn what the powers that be learn, rather than what people who are actually interested in education and personal enlightenment want them to learn.

According to various sources, even government funded REGULAR school actually dumbs kids down. So why would any sensible person want Washington to pollute higher education? It will become a disaster just like everything else Washington puts its hands on.

Tuesday, 05 May, 2009  
Blogger contemplator said...

U sec Ed doesn't necessarily mean that students are automatically allowed to go to school and to stay as long as they want. They would still have to pass the admissions test. They would still have to maintain an appropriate GPA in order to remain in school.

Again, I suggest the body of work that Jeffrey Williams has spent a career working on.

Tuesday, 05 May, 2009  
Anonymous mad dog said...

Well, its good to know that the centralists are somewhat sane on this issue.

But I must say, I have no idea why you are so squeamish about swearing in front of high school students. I bet they swear more than anyone else, except in front of prude authority figures.

Would you be teaching at a school run by Mormons?

Tuesday, 05 May, 2009  
Blogger contemplator said...

Because the level of control by administrators is different for high school kids than it is for legal adults of age 18-19. You're more scrutinized.

Tuesday, 05 May, 2009  
Anonymous mad dog said...

Sorry to hear that you have to deal with such a bunch of cranky prudes who live in la-la land as administrators.

Tuesday, 05 May, 2009  
Anonymous mad dog said...

Sorry, but I retread my minor compliment to the big-government establishment.

This dilemma can actually be easily overcome by the establishment by a little phenomenon known as "grade inflation". In other words, when the average quality of students go down, all they have to do is cover it up and make professors give higher grades.

Thursday, 07 May, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats