Saturday, February 03, 2007

Strange Company With A Strange Ending

In the drinking episode that took place last night (JP where'd you go?), I met and discovered yet more reasons why this town is so weird. This town brings people together from all over the place. I know that's somewhat true of most towns, but a popular get-to-know-you game is to ask the other person after a few drinks, "So why did you move HERE?!" The answers are always surprising.

We drank at the semi-ritzy Waterfront bar. I like that bar because it's got a lot of atmosphere. Also, all the rich business types go to "let their hair down" there. I wrote a collection of short stories based entirely on going out to my favorite spots and watching people and listening to them. It's still a sort of a pastime. I watched a rather stuffy business woman have a shocking number of martinis. I watched a man who looked just like a Greek statue, tight curls and all.

The more interesting people were at my table, by far. I met two other agency members, one whom we call "Einstein" who had come from Manhattan and the other, Sister Mary of Our Lady of Perpetual Litigation is a lawyer for mental health cases. Einstein runs the mental health nonprofit in town. The lawyer is a nun and probably somewhere in her seventies. I watched Sister Mary of Our Lady of Perpetual Litigation knock back two margaritas and three cigarettes, and I'm pretty sure she said "shit" and called someone an "asshole." Highly amusing. What they are both doing in Morgantown after having had such interesting lives elsewhere is beyond me.

At the end of the night, I think I got talked into taking a cat; I'm still being talked into taking it, although I have to iron out a kink or two before I can have it.

So, I guess the moral of the story is, go out drinking with nuns and you'll end up with a pet? Or something?

Still not quite sure what happened.

-- Virgil

5 Comments:

Blogger JP said...

Yea, I dropped the ball on the whole plan. Sorry about that. By the time I was finished teaching, talking with our 680 prof, and grading papers, I was just too tired. I had one beer at the Brew Pub and then went home to sleep. Very lame of me.

Sounds like you had a lot more fun. Sorry I didn't call.

Saturday, 03 February, 2007  
Blogger contemplator said...

HOW DARE YOU NOT CALL!!??11?!

Just kidding. It's no big deal. I figure if people are doing something they really want me in on, they'll call. Otherwise, I go out hunting for something to do. Either way, I have fun.

I realized that I didn't even have your phone number to call & check anyway. You gave it to me a while back, but I've mislaid it. I actually ended up having three different drinking options that night.

I doubt the others would've led to owning the cat that's currently freaked out and stalking around the apt.

Saturday, 03 February, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why do I get the feeling you like "I love this bar" by Toby Kieth?

Friday, 09 February, 2007  
Blogger contemplator said...

never heard of it. :)

Saturday, 10 February, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Considering that youv'e told me that you were in all kinds of bands, as well as the fact you are from middle america, I am suprised that you have not heard of it. But here I go anyway.

"(Toby Keith/Scott Emerich)

We got winners,
We got losers,
Chain smokers and boozers,
We got yuppies,
We got bikers,
We got thirsty hitchhikers.
And the girls next door dress up like movie stars.
Mmmm, I love this bar.

We got cowboys,
We got truckers,
Broken-hearted fools and suckers,
We got hustlers,
We got fighters,
Early birds and all-nighters,
And the veterans talk about their battle scars.
Mmmm, I love this bar.

Chorus
I love this bar.
It's my kind of place.
Just walkin' through the front door puts a big smile on my face.
It ain't too far.
Come as you are.
Mmmm, I love this bar.

We got short skirts,
We got high techs,
Blue collar boys and rednecks.
We got lovers, Lotsa lookers,
I've even seen dancin' girls and hookers.
And we like to drink our beer from a Mason jar.
Mmmm, I love this bar...Yes, I do.

Instrumental Interlude

I like my truck.
I like my girl friend.
I like to take her out to dinner.
I like a movie now and then.

But, I love this bar.
It's my kind of place.
Just twirlin' around on the dance floor puts a big smile on my face.
No cover charge.
Come as you are.
Mmmm, I love this bar.

Mmmm, I love this old bar."

Saturday, 10 February, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats