Tuesday, March 13, 2007

I Need A Vacation!!

bitchy-whine-complain-pooh-pooh-bungle-bear. ::pout::
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
I'm cross. I'm tired. I'm overworked. I'm managing beautifully, and it never fails to amaze me what people can accomplish under pressure. By people, of course, I mean me. My work is always done, and it's never late. But I am soooo tired. I didn't get a break at Christmas. I was too busy dealing with the ins and outs of my sister's breakdown, catching up on hundreds of pages of literacy crap that I'd gotten so very behind on, and completely revamping my syllabus. I think I took off for Christmas dinner and for Christmas day. Otherwise, it was work, work, work. I get my Spring Break the last week of March. But, I'll be finishing a major essay then, and it isn't as if I can stop working my nonprofit job.

Sometimes, there is just too much to carry.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
What's really bugging me is the fact that I have to take summer classes. Summer classes really piss me off for two reasons. For one thing, they're only about 6 weeks long. So I always feel like we rush over things. I feel cheated of my time. Second, full semesters are really wearing on a person. Things are due so often both for my own classes and from the students I teach that there really isn't time to do extra work on, for instance, your syllabus. And a teacher who really cares will go back over things at the end of each semester, see what worked and what didn't, and make adjustments. My syllabus now is 100% better than it was last semester, and I can already see where I want to rearrange things for next year. I need that time over the summer to actually get to do that.

Complicating things further, I may be reassigned out of 101 to teach 102, which is more argument and rhetorically based. Which means coming up with all new stuff! From scratch! New readings, new assignments, new everything. It takes a lot of work to design a course from scratch, but that's what they expect you to do when they boot you into 102. If I'm taking classes, especially compressed ones, I will barely have time to turn around. Then, there's the small matter of fact that the summer classes end only three or four days before fall classes begin. No decompression time.

ARGGHH!!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
My lovely mentor has also managed to screw me over for summer on top of the complications I'm already facing. (More on that in another post. I really need to get that rant out of my system.)

So. I need a break. A real break, not a pretend break where I don't have to do all the things I do in a day but still have to do some of them. My Director/Buddy calls them "running away days." I've got two choices. And I'm going to figure out how to take both of them. I can leave sometime between May 1 and May 17, before our golf tourney fundraiser and the start of summer classes. I can't be gone that whole time, but I can potentially take a week. And I can go the week of Christmas. Dante leaves for Florida for Christmas, and he's gone for a week anyway. I might as well go somewhere else during that time; it's depressing to be in Kentucky when he's not there.

I don't think I'll get out of the country this year. My secret wish is to go to Ireland next summer, which is one reason to take that extra class this summer. It frees me up of my obligations (except for reading a few books) to school so that I might actually get a summer off. But I know one thing. I want to go somewhere warm. Somewhere fun. Someplace that doesn't look like Appalachia. I heart Appalachia. But I have to live here. I want to see something different, for a change.

I am open to suggestions. But I think for Christmas, I'm going to Puerto Rico (and yes, I know that's technically "out of the country", but not really. You know what I mean!).
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Different. Warm. Not West Virginia. I've no idea where to go for May. I'm thinking maybe Maine.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Heck if I know. What're your favorite places in the U.S.?

-- Virgil (tired-pooh-pooh-bungle-bear)

7 Comments:

Blogger samuel said...

I too heart Appalachia, but as opposed to your feelings, I don't see enough of it. Sometimes I can see it out there somewhere when we're on a big ridge, but we so seldom actually go and do anything out that way.

Tuesday, 13 March, 2007  
Blogger contemplator said...

I grew up in the middle of it. Doing things "in" it was pretty much just walking out the front door. It was awesome, and that's why I want to stay in the region. But I so need some sand between my toes right now...

Tuesday, 13 March, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Complicating things further, I may be reassigned out of 101 to teach 102, which is more argument and rhetorically based."

Solution: Just do what the other 102 teachers do. Get friendly with them and ask them what to do. No sense in re-inventing the wheel, when a perfectly good wheel already exists.

Tuesday, 13 March, 2007  
Blogger contemplator said...

Some wheels are rather squeaky and missing some spokes, though...

Tuesday, 13 March, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In that case, it would be best to take an already existing wheel, and make minor repairs, apply a little oil, rather than start from scratch.

Tuesday, 13 March, 2007  
Blogger contemplator said...

That's true, but it's still learning new material, which is still sort of like starting from scratch, even if you do have somebody else's "path" before you.

Wednesday, 14 March, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear Connecticut can be nice in May. You might even find at least one friendly person over there.

Wednesday, 21 March, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats