Friday, March 02, 2007

Friday Night Hijinks

For the past Friday night or so, I've been having a beer and knocking down some pins at the campus bowling alley. Campus beer is pretty cheap, although you have to wear a stupid beer bracelet to drink it. It's kind of nice at the end of the week.
I didn't realize bowling could be so fun. I'm fairly bad at it--I have no footwork. I can't do that sexy little backstep when I release the ball, not yet, anyway. But the point of bowling is getting to watch other people's behinds when they do it right!
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Also equally amusing is the band of geeks that seem to hang out there engaging in their favorite sport: Dance, Dance Revolution.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I have never seen anything funnier in my life. It's not exactly like they have rhythm, but they're good gamers, and so they hit all the right buttons with their feet. Sometimes the game even has them face each other and "dance." I hear schools are putting these things in to help overweight kids become active. These guys just look like bunnies on crack!

Come on down to the alley, and we'll drink cheap beer and watch the free entertainment!

-- Virgil

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I gotta say, these guys are eminently secure in their manliness cause you would NOT catch me doing anything that idiotic-looking where ANYONE could see me, let alone where small herds of people congregate! I love bowling too! There's something so peaceful about just admitting you completely suck at something and managing to enjoy it anyway, lol! and beer? BEEEEEEeeeeeeeeer, as the great Homer Simpson would say!

Friday, 02 March, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In a way, I am quite grateful that games like 'Dance Dance Revolution' exist, because I thought that the video arcade was doomed after all these new home gaming machines like the Xbox and the PS2, and even before.

Back before the late 90's, the arcades were usually superior to the home machines in virtually every way. In that era, to play the best version of any game, you would have to go to the arcade. For example, Double Dragon, Ninja Turtles and Final Fight were much better than their home based counterparts. As the 90's went on, the gap between the graphic quality of home systems vs arcade systems increasingly narrowed.

The whole point of the arcade was to provide something you could not get anywhere else. But with modern home systems, limitations are quite few, as their visual qualities are approaching that of a Pixar movie!

Games like Dance Dance Revolution provide things you could not get at home, at least not affordably, like that dance pad. Seems like the whole trend nowadays is providing a more physical experience, as opposed to mere electronic improvements.

Sunday, 04 March, 2007  
Blogger Appletini said...

Bowling! Hey, I totally suck at bowling, but I still like it anyway. I'm so bad at it that I've yet to crack that ever elusive score of 100. If I ever nail a triple digit game, I'm gonna party like its a 300. LOL!

As for the Dance Dance thing. I saw some guys doing that a few months ago -- 20-somethings at that -- it was hysterical. Bunnies on crack, indeed!

Friday, 09 March, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats