Friday, October 26, 2007

You Might Be A Shit-Stirrer If...

...someone jerks you out of class just to request you go and stir it.

I've been at the state adult basic education conference--a giant clusterfuck that has its own post coming shortly--and I learned two things. (1) I have probably the most powerful literacy agency in the state, and that if it doesn't fly with me and Director/Buddy the state literacy powers that be decide that it's better off not fighting that battle (a jaw dropping realization). And that (2) apparently my reputation has preceded me.

While in the middle of a session on something important about the culture of poverty, one of the regional powers that be shanghai's me on the way to the bathroom and says, "I need you to sit in on another session. Congressman X is running the session and I need you there." I said, "OK, you need bodies to pack the room? Why don't you make an announcement in this session, I'm sure they'd come." Apparently I misunderstood. "No, I don't need bodies, I need you." Still confused. Does she need me to help her with the set up? No. "I need you to...well...to do what you guys do best." Drink beer? No. "Well...let's just call it 'agitate.'"

Ohhh.

Sure, I'd love to.

So, needless to say, I got to meet Mr. Important On The Food Chain Representative. And he certainly got to meet me.

-- Virgil

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A pile of shit that sticky needs a lot of shoulder effort to make the spoon go round.


Nice with the making a splash the rest of the time too...

Wednesday, 31 October, 2007  
Blogger contemplator said...

Sigh. And the post above explains how one's reputation grows within the state.

Friday, 02 November, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats