Monday, October 01, 2007

Whoopsy Part 2

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Being at a festival at the crack of dawn is not really how I prefer to spend my day, especially if I'm working and not playing at said festival. I have a whole post about this festival brewing, but for now, let's just say it's one of the biggest festivals in West Virginia, and it revolves around the grain "buckwheat." Because we had a full day slated of nonprofit selling, raffling, recruiting and eventually riding in the parade, we were at the festival early. And we sort of rewarded ourselves by having a buckwheat pancake breakfast first. Supposedly the best place for said buckwheat cakes is in a Methodist church in a nearby town, close to where Director/Buddy lives, and thus convenient as a starting point.

I dislike going into churches for any reason. I've had enough of church to do me plenty for the rest of my life, thank you very much. I don't like it because no matter what the event, there's always a subtle way of slipping Gawd into the picture. But, Director/Buddy and her neighbor dude swore this was the best place to eat buckwheat cakes, so off we went.

I ate cakes and had some coffee and cracked the usual jokes about the place spontaneously catching fire now that we were in it, remarks about looking for the ceiling to crack and so on. Got done, headed for the exit. Oh, wait. You can't get out the door without taking one of the tiny New Testament Bibles from one of the preachers blocking your way. I guess you could've shoved through them, but that's bad form. You ate their buckwheat cakes in their hall, so you should probably grimace and mutter thank you and take the damn bible.

You probably shouldn't say, when you're only two steps away instead of the ten steps you thought, "What's this? Fancy toilet paper??"
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Sigh. I think they wanted to light me on fire with their eyes.

-- Virgil

4 Comments:

Blogger Mrs Mac said...

Oh, WONDERFUL!!! I love it! Well done!

I probably would have referred to suppositories...

LOL!

I do hate they way they grab every opportunity though. STROOF!

Monday, 01 October, 2007  
Blogger samuel said...

I feel the same, the general dislike of being in a church. The one church that doesn't seem to have this affect is a local Unitarian church that our homeschool group uses occasionally. I'm not even certain that Unitarian quite qualifies as a religion, but at least I know they aren't damning everyone.

My own favorite remark generally has to do with my skin burning when I touch the Bible.

Tuesday, 02 October, 2007  
Blogger contemplator said...

"suppositories" is likely too big a word to use at this gathering, lol!

Samuel, I've also pulled the "OUCH! That's hot!" a time or two myself. :D

Tuesday, 02 October, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You just cracked me up at work yesterday when I read that article....

Wednesday, 03 October, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats