Sunday, February 24, 2008

And The Green Horse Posts Up!

Photobucket

Wow. So, Ralph Nader has decided to launch another shot at the Presidency.

I'm not sure how I feel about Nader and the Greens at any given moment. I think everybody needs to be more environmentally aware and more concerned about labor issues than they are right now. They can either ignore it now or have the issue hit them hard later. But I always feel a little let down by the lack of any real planning on the Greens' part to make the solutions to their issues happen. I'm the kind of voter who needs a clear step by step idea of what's going to happen. Politicians rarely give that to me.

I'm NOT the kind of voter who thinks that Nader is a "spoiler." Anybody who wants to run should be allowed to present their platform. I do think it hurts the Democrat vote, but the greater purpose of building momentum for 3rd party tickets is more important. I think we'd do a lot better as a country if we didn't have such a two party stranglehold on the system (which is really more like the same party with different salad dressing choices). I also think that the more 3rd party candidates make a bid for political seats that it's valuable, because that ties into the support and money they get for the next time around. I wonder if I'll ever see a fully viable 3rd party candidate in my lifetime. I think Ross Perot actually came the closest to being viable. Michael Bloomberg may still run.

One thing a third party candidate does for certain is force their platforms into the public consciousness. That's pretty vital to shifting the center of politics. The other candidates may not full embrace the ideas of third party candidates, but they are at least forced to account for them. Which almost always causes policy to shift. That's pretty invaluable in itself.

-- Virgil

8 Comments:

Blogger samuel said...

I really hate the suggestions that Nader is a spoiler or that he steals votes from Democrats. My position is that, if the Democrats would actually act like Democrats and present a truly progressive platform, then Nader would likely not run or his candidacy would not move votes from the Dem side to his side. I feel that Nader is the only candidate taking the stand on issue that every single Democrat should take.

Sunday, 24 February, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should see what is at stake here. And, no. The democrats are not that concerned about this:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/02/04/ED5OUPQJ7.DTL

Sunday, 24 February, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://tinyurl.com/2h7fu4

Sunday, 24 February, 2008  
Blogger contemplator said...

I'm sorry, what exactly does your link have to do with my post about Ralph Nader running for President? You lost me on that one.

Sunday, 24 February, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it is a very central issue to this country

Sunday, 24 February, 2008  
Blogger contemplator said...

OK, I don't disagree with that, and things like the Patriot Act always have been. What does it have to do specifically with Ralph Nader's bid for the Presidency?

Sunday, 24 February, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ralph Nader is very good with civil liberties. The Democrats are laughable on this issue. It is not that they are weak. It is that they are mostly in agreement with the neoconservatives.

Sunday, 24 February, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At this point, I am wondering if elections even matter anymore. I don't even think they count the vote in an honest fashion.

Sunday, 24 February, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats