Thursday, April 24, 2008

Tired. But Done. Bitch.

I don't normally divulge when I get done with my graduate work each semester, because I know how frustrating it is to not be finished with your own papers/research and have somebody else running their piehole about how they were done two weeks ago. Makes you want to strangle them. But when JP came into the office and saw me grading a stack of MGRPs, pointed and mockingly laughed at me, well, my etiquette slipped. "Go ahead and laugh," I told him. "You know why? Because this is all I have to do. That's right, I'M DONE." Bitch. The look on his face was glorious. Sort of like biting into an apple that turns out to be a lemon. Serves you right for picking on me. :p

That's right people. Minus a few cosmetic fixes, I'm d.o.n.e. Done with my monstrous seminar paper on Adam Smith and environmental ideological rhetoric. Done with my other paper on ecocriticism in slave narratives. Done grading MGRPs. Done grading all their little stuff. I just have to get through the next week without collapsing and grade portfolios when they come due. Oh, and not lose my flash drive or destroy the data somehow (yes, that nightmare has already started happening). I'm not sure how I managed to put so much pedal to metal. But it worked out well.

Because I get to go to the Kentucky Derby next weekend. Woot. The kids turn in portfolios and thirty minutes later I'm on the road to the Derby. We're going to have a blast again, and I'll take more pictures. I have a different dress this year, and I'm still hat shopping. But I can go without having to worry. My papers are both due the Monday right after Derby weekend. But that's OK now, because I'm done. (Did you hear me yet, JP? DONE.)

On a more positive note, my last therapy session is next week. Dr. Ian says that people don't normally progress through therapy as fast as I have. So I guess I'm doing well. I think it's helped. At least somebody else got to verify the craziness of my life.

Oh, and did I mention I have a job interview this coming Monday? >:D

-- Virgil--mock me again. I dare you.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dayyyyuum!Congratulations! That's fantastic! Enjoy and savor it! Congrats also on whipping through therapy - not an overachiever or anything, are ya? *grin*

Thursday, 24 April, 2008  
Blogger JP said...

Pshah! If I've learned anything from grad school, it's that getting work done early provides no reward. Somehow, you will find yourself with more work. It may come from an unexpected place at an unexpected time, but all is not right with the universe until someone punishes efficiency.

I don't care what the therapist says, beware that other shoe!

But yea, the last thing I should be doing is giving *you* of all people grief for wanting to get a little R&R time. I'll take my slice of humble pie with a side of lemon juice now. :)

Friday, 25 April, 2008  
Blogger contemplator said...

Well, as far as the therapy part goes, I'd worked through a lot of previous serious issues already. It's not like we had to rehash my experience with religion so much or my dad's death. Not really. It was basically about identifying the kinds of patterns I've held onto from those experiences that aren't allowing me to evolve into a stronger, better person, if that makes sense. It was actually pretty helpful.

Friday, 25 April, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats