Thursday, May 15, 2008

Hate It Or Love It

Replace "Rap's" with "English Department" and I claim this song as my own. I always liked it anyway.

Hate it or love it the underdog's on top
And I'm gonna shine, homie 'til my heart stop
Go'head'n envy me
I'm Rap's MVP
And I ain't going nowhere
So you can get to know me

Of course, I guess that means that I'm not the underdog anymore? This is a totally new feeling, and one I'm not sure I have the skill set yet to master. I know how to play the underdog. I don't know how to run with the big ones. But run with them I shall, as the leader of the pack has just invited me to participate in a panel with them at the biggest composition conference in our country representing our university. She even took one of my papers as source material to boost our odds of getting accepted. If we got accepted, I'd be there with the head of our writing program, the head of our editing program and somebody I totally don't respect, but that's neither here nor there. Other than the guy I don't respect, the rest of them have light years of experience in teaching and writing. It would be rather intimidating to try and hold my own against them, so for now I guess I'll be the pup that runs around with the big dogs until I get some bite of my own. The projects I'm doing are pretty unique, so that's probably how I got my invite, in spite of my lack of experience and lack of a PhD.

That and my iron skirt, I guess. For those of you unfamiliar with the term "skirt", I borrowed it from Bitch PhD, who uses the phrase "get some skirt" like other people use "grow a pair". :p

If we are accepted, I'm going to have to present my work so that it sounds up to par with that of the people I'm going with. No pressure or anything. I'm still amazed they asked me to go.

-- Virgil

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats