Saturday, February 25, 2006

Sadly, I am not a black man.


Hopefully, after an extremely steep learning curve and a few hours, there will be a picture here of Dante at the fishing hole.

Lordy, I miss him.

He's gone to stay with his father, who lives 7 hours away. It was the thing to do at the time. It seems to be the thing to do with the rest of his childhood. I know, I know, he's only been gone 2 months. My spidey-sense is tingling, though, and it says he isn't coming back.

Can I help it if I'm not a black man? He sort of called me out on that, and I had to be like, "Well, son, you got me there." I blame hormones. His, not mine. He hated moving to West Virginia (good God, who could blame him?) and he had gotten really attached to his dad before we left. They saw each other every weekend, which was a big switch from him not calling at all when he was a toddler. They just sort of...grew into each other.

And now, Daddy is the largest figure in his life. When we were having a really tough day after we'd had several weeks worth of tough days, it just all came tumbling out. "Maybe you ought to go live with your father for a little while." I had said. He burst into tears. So did I. "I'm not mad at you," I had said. "You just aren't very happy here. Maybe you'd be happier if you stayed with Daddy." We were just getting to the point where everything was an argument. Breakfast was an argument. Did we love each other? You bet. Maybe we were just too much alike.

He rubbed his eyes and nodded. "Yes," he said. "I want to live with Daddy." "You can change your mind, you know," I said. "I know," he said. He was a different boy from that day on. No more bickering, no pointless arguments. I'm sure I had fed the fire myself. He is MY child, after all. He just withdrew his firewood. Until we left for Kentucky, he would say, "I'm going to miss you so much." And we'd cry a little. But he never said he didn't want to go.

In the end, we hugged and cried at the last minute. At his dad's apartment, he got up and showed me all his new chores (which he was weirdly excited about), and announced that the first thing he did when he came home from school was his homework. He whispered at the last minute that he had changed his mind, but I think that was because I was about to leave and it hurt, and taking it back would make the hurt stop. I told him it was too late to change his mind, but in the summer if he wanted to come home, I'd sure pack everything up and move him right back.

Since then, he does more for himself, he talks more "grown up" and he has a busy little life. It's tough to be the 8:30 phone call. I don't know what he has for breakfast or what he wore to school, and half the time he'll shrug (I can hear it through the phone) and say "I don't know" when I ask. I'm the part time parent now. I still don't know how I feel about that. He never talks about coming back, only when am I "coming down" for a visit. I suspect he'll stay.

I only hope that by getting out of his way, I've helped him get a bit closer to finding it.

--Virgil

8 Comments:

Blogger contemplator said...

Don't make me cry. I just pulled an all night insomnia attack, and am perilously close to the edge.

Why aren't you people online at 3am anyway???

Saturday, 25 February, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha, I'm awake at 3 AM. I'll check online the next time.

Doc

Saturday, 25 February, 2006  
Blogger contemplator said...

I think the location may have had something to do with why he was so miserable here. Hey, Bridget, when we come back to KY for a while, we'll have to arrange something for you and the kids. I imagine it's the country you're talking about, as TN looks just like KY to me. My original place is about 30-45 minutes from the TN border. We can get to Knoxville in an hour & a half.

I don't know if feeling "better" is the right word. I feel like a prisoner of war right now. Normally my sleeplessness will tap out around 3 am. With some fitful naps, I've pretty much been going for two days straight.

Saturday, 25 February, 2006  
Blogger contemplator said...

Oooh, did you go see Prince when he came through?? We drove all the way to Nashville to see him. I hate to sound so incredibly gushy, but IT WAS ONE OF THE BEST TIMES OF MY LIFE!!!

OK. Putting my super cool identity back on now...

Sunday, 26 February, 2006  
Blogger Violet's Mom said...

Wow. I could just read the pain. I am so sorry. Good parents do things that hurt like hell. Bad parents do things that are easy. You are obviously a good parent.

Sunday, 26 February, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Joy...wow.
I started out giggling at your title and ended up fighting back tears.

I'm in awe of your strength and selflessness. What a treasure to give your son.

Too nosy for me to ask how you ended up here in WV anyhow?

Sunday, 26 February, 2006  
Blogger contemplator said...

Thank you, Dyan. I 'know" I'm a good parent, but sometimes it helps to hear it, kwim?

The reward is that I can really tell he's happy. It's just really hard not to jump to that logical fallacy and say that consequently I made him *not* happy.

Oh, and Audrey, I ended up in WV because my husband is getting his PhD at a university here. So we married and moved, basically. It is a funny title, and the only thing that keeps me from crying at the situation is laughing at the fact, kwim? I'm using kwim way too much, lol.

Sunday, 26 February, 2006  
Blogger Jo said...

This post just made my heart break for you. You are so much stronger than I am and I mean that. It's kind of sick but I live everyday being thankful that my oldest two kids have such losers for biodads because then I never have to worry about them wanting to go live with them. Part of me is sad for them because I made such a bad choice in biodads but another part of me is glad because I don't have to go through this heartache like you are.

It takes so much strength and love to do what you've done. I hope you know that. Not everyone can put their kids wants or needs first like you did. I honestly commend you for that.

The mommy in me is going to secretly hope he comes running back very soon though. ;)

Monday, 27 February, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats