Sunday, March 26, 2006

Christians in Pull-Ups

I have been so sick of reading recently all the little snitty comments, largely from "Christians" that claim they are held to a different standard than the rest of us. I have had my fill of whiney remarks about being persecuted for their "faith". Here's another insightful passage from my friend Jerry's book:

"Has Christianity become a whiny religion?

It would seem so. Christians once defied persecution for a cause, but persecution has been lately redefined as being snubbed at the father-and-son picnic. It really hurts when my kids want to pray and the government won't force your kids to pray along with them!

Recently a movie that might have gone unnoticed filled a lull in the reportage of CNN. One of the more popular Christian sects was picketing a humorous portayal of apostles, saints, and angels. A young 'spokesman's' word-choice was fascinating: 'But they're attacking my faith!" As if his perspective enjoyed an immunity that his opponents' did not! As if religious satire were some fringy new art form! As if Jesus himself had not used it with the same laudable intention, to purge religion of silliness with truth!

The Epistle to the Hebrews has a more robust conception of faith. It was through faith that the elders:

"...were tortured, not accepting deliverance; that they might obtain a better resurrection;

"...had trial of cruel mockings and scourgings, yea, moreover of bonds and imprisonment;

"they were stoned, they were sawn asunder, were tempted, were slain with the sword; they wandered about in sheepskins and goatskins; being destitute, afflicted, tormented..."

The faith that could endure being sawn asunder now faints at the prospect of an annoying movie.

The young man could not endure an attack on his faith. What faith? It is not our faith, but our illusions, that wail for sympathetic treatment.

What did the young man want? To be patronized? To be sheltered? To be indulged? Was he exhibiting this poor, pale, and sickly body of his faith in hopes of an exemption from life in the real world?

It doesn't work that way.

Faith that needs protection cannont be protected."


Such a smart man, as usual. I think the movie he is referring to is "Dogma". I would add to this, that I, when bothering people at their homes on a Saturday morning whilst in a fundy cult, was screamed at, called names, accused of trying to overthrow the government, had dogs set upon us, was warned about guns in the home, and had several people go into full on, eye-rolling speaking in tongues. And yes, that means that somebody's eyes rolled back and they went into "A-sha-na-na-na-na-na." At the time, we thought they were demon posessed. Now I know they were probably just off their meds. Oh, did I mention I was 12, 13 years old when this happened? And that was after I told them I was bringing the GOOD news of the kingdom! Imagine what might've happened if I'd told them the bad news first! Christians, if you want to keep on using training pants, then stop whining to me about when you need to go potty.

--Virgil

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats