Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Happy Days


Happy days. The days when we homeschooled. I miss him quite a bit. He's in public school now and doing quite well. I'll get to see him in a couple of weeks when he goes on Spring Break. I can't wait, because it's been nearly 2 1/2 months since I've seen him.

My rant on the situation currently is that his dad is enrolling him in baseball this summer. So that means he can't come up here, and that I'll have to make several 7 hour one way drives down there. *@!#&.

He's doing so well without me, and I find that hard to swallow. I keep telling myself he's not really "without" me, and he's not. But he hasn't been calling every night like he used to, and when I call him many times they're doing something.

What that really means is that he's healthy, and he's adjusting. He has a great dad who has really risen to the occasion, and I want to take nothing away from him as far as that goes. But I wonder if I should put my foot down and say, no he's coming to West Virginia (where he has no friends and nothing for him really to do), or should I let him stay in Kentucky doing fun things over the summer, and take yet one more step out of his way?

Sigh.

He asked if he could bring me in for show and tell at school, and it nearly broke my heart. As if he were saying, see everybody, I've got a mom, and here's the proof. He sounds really happy when I talk to him. All the family we have down in Kentucky say he's doing great.

Your mother is always your mother. I guess a small part of me is worried that I may have lost my relevance to him, or that I'm ceding it away.

--Virgil

7 Comments:

Blogger Frankie said...

I put you up there in the greatest mothers on earth categories. Wow, you're a good mom, putting your son's needs and welfare first and foremost.

I would like to say that one of his needs is to see his mother over the summer. Can't he do baseball in West Virginia? He needs to be with his mom some times. I think I would put my foot down on that one. That's my best advice.

I am amazed at how really great you are doing, though. He is such a cutie!

Wednesday, 15 March, 2006  
Blogger Appletini said...

"Your mother is always your mother."

No greater truth was ever told. He WILL know that.

I know that.

Wednesday, 15 March, 2006  
Blogger mull-berry said...

Most summers we have had two boys in baseball ... believe me, if he misses one game for a vacation it's no biggie. Just let the coach know in plenty of time ... if not enough kids can show up or get a replacement, they can reschedule the game.

What position does he like to play? He's a cutie?

Thursday, 16 March, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah Joy, we hardly knew ye . . . . I think I met you very briefly at the homeschooling group's picnic last fall. Dante likes to throw a football around, yes?

There are tons of things to do here in the summer -- lots of weekly half-day and full-day camps offered by BOPARC, the university's physical education school, private dance studios, riding stables, etc. Here are some examples:
http://www.msnsportsnet.com/page.cfm?section=1301
and http://www.wvu.edu/~physed/mdc/camp_choosy_forms.htm
Unfortunately, not free, but some of these programs are pretty reasonable.

MargaretWV

Thursday, 16 March, 2006  
Blogger contemplator said...

MargaretWV--hey, girlfriend, I wondered if that was you on "that" board, LOL.

I suppose I should've worded it more carefully. It's not that there isn't anything to do here. There's plenty. In fact I was really looking forward to putting him into private tap lessons this summer, because he LOVED Mindy's Dance Studio.

The problem is more with having somebody to do things with. All of his cousins are either in one spot in KY or one spot in Florida, without exception. All his friends are in KY. He loved playgroup up here, but the times were somewhat inconvenient for us. And in Kentucky, he can play baseball with his buddies, swim with people he knows, etc., and I guess there's enough of a comfort level down there for him to meet new people with ease.

Up here, he didn't make too many friends at play group. I'm not throwing off on it, or anything, they've never been anything but friendly and helpful. But he would complain about it off and on, like, OK, we went, we were there, he was around other kids, but he never really got to *play* with somebody. Sometimes people click and sometimes they don't, I guess. But he felt pretty lonely up here. Our psycho neighbors didn't help anything, either, LOL.

I'm hoping maybe one day he'll come back for good, or we'll work out a 50/50.

Thursday, 16 March, 2006  
Blogger Violet's Mom said...

Ok, that is one cute kid.

Thursday, 16 March, 2006  
Blogger contemplator said...

Yup, and don't think he don't know it.

Thursday, 16 March, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats