Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Sheep Heaven

This comes from a very dear friend of mine who self published a book. It's my favorite passage out of the book. It would be no exaggeration to say that without Jeremiah Cox's presence in the bleakest time of my life, I would not be here today. The book is called "Redesigning God." I'm not enlightened enough to really explain his philosopy, but this "parable" is awesome.

"My fantasy of the Last Judgment may not be as insane as it sounds. Occasionally, even a madman speaks the truth.

It begins in the traditional manner. God congratulates the sheep on inheriting heaven by their sheeplike behavior and promises them the goats will have hell to pay.

But after the sheep have skipped offstage to their eternal reward, God confirms His mutual understanding with the goats.

'Look fellows. Everything I said to the sheep is true. They are on the way to Paradise, but it's their kind of paradise, not yours. Sheep huddle together in flocks; they will follow anyone who walks upright; and they are sweet but timid little folk. they shall have a heaven appropriate to their temperament.

But you guys are the creatures truly of like mind with Myself. You go where the timid will not go; you are brazenly independent; you think for yourself; you wander off alone; and you are not afraid of heights.

I have always phrased my teaching for the sheep, because I knew you could figure it out for yourself. When I promised them I would send you guys to hell, I had to tell the truth. But it was hell as they understood the word. You are indeed going to sheep-hell; but sheep-hell is also goat-heaven.

Thank God--that would be Me--that you didn't follow their lead; for sheep-heaven, by definition, would be hell on a goat.'"

--Virgil

6 Comments:

Blogger contemplator said...

Why? Did you smell something burning?

Wednesday, 01 March, 2006  
Blogger Appletini said...

I love that! I'm going to sheep hell.

But, hopefully not for a really long time.

Wednesday, 01 March, 2006  
Blogger Frankie said...

you need butch's photo on this entry.

I did love this.

Thursday, 02 March, 2006  
Blogger Doc said...

Oh lordy. Owning both goats and sheep - this is so true.

I have no problem eating sheep. They're...stupid.

I could never eat a goat. We speak the same language.

Thursday, 02 March, 2006  
Blogger Violet's Mom said...

You know. I've never been able to eat much lamb. Have you noticed that they smell the same alive and/or cooked?

If we had more land I'd love to have a couple of goats. They are little bungles of personality. We make do with visiting Little Swan and Little Bear around the corner.

Thursday, 02 March, 2006  
Blogger Doc said...

We don't have the stink problem. It's all in how they're butchered, but I won't get more graphic than that - except that the fleece can NOT touch the meat, and ALL the fat has to be trimmed. We home butcher our own. Once a year I have a bunch of people over and we cook an entire lamb on an open pit bbq.

Friday, 03 March, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats