Friday, September 01, 2006

Bind the Monkey

The Sutra of Mindfulness compares the mind to a monkey swinging from tree to tree. In order not to lose sight of the monkey while it is in motion, we must keep a constant eye on its movements.

I like this metaphor. My love of the theory of evolution enjoys the thought of brain and primate together. But it also strikes me as being very true of my own mental process sometimes. If I look away, lose conciousness, get distracted or clouded, I immediately start spinning around looking for the monkey again. And I'm reeling until I find it.

The mind experiences itself within itself; there is no feeling without also reflection on the feeling at the same time. You feel a surge of something, you know to call it anger. An object hits your tastebuds, but at the same time you taste, your mind taking it in and deciding whether you like it or not. To truly stay focused, mind has to contemplate mind. Then my mind is no longer scattered.

This is called binding the monkey. And once it's bound, the mind is no longer like a monkey, but rather true mind. A mind at peace.

--Virgil

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

which branch of philosophy and/or eastern religion is this? I did not know that you were into this stuff

Monday, 04 September, 2006  
Blogger contemplator said...

Zen Buddhism with a Vietnamese flair.

It's philosophy rather than a religion.

Wednesday, 06 September, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

from what I've seen, Buddhism seems to be the most peaceful of philosophies that I know of. It is rumored that Christianity is influenced by buddhism.

Thursday, 07 September, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats