Friday, September 29, 2006

What Did You Want To Be When You Grew Up?

As early as I can remember, I wanted to be a spy. I decided I would have an apartment in New York and an apartment in Paris, all full of great clothes. And I would spy. I have absolutely no idea where this notion came from. But I wanted that up until the third grade.

In the third grade, we had a speaker--some man from the bank?--who wanted to know what we wanted to be when we grew up. When it came around to me, I said, "President."
"Oh, you want to be the president of a company? That's great. There's a lot of money in that."
"No," one of my little boy cohorts interrupted. "She wants to be the President of the United States."
"OH!" The man kind of chuckled.

I decided right then that my first order as President would be to have this man shot.

Anyway, when I got older and La Femme Nikita came out, it was like vicariously living out what I'd wanted so long ago...
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
My dad brought the movie home one night. I was in love. Then they made a TV show about it with Peta Wilson! Lucky me. Especially considering how hot I thought Michael was.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

As a kid, I loved Encyclopedia Brown, Nancy Drew and James Bond. Even Murder She Wrote and Poirot. I've read all of Sherlock Holmes, and I love a good film noir, especially wtih Bogey in it, especially if it's The Maltese Falcon. I watch old Dick Tracey shorts for fun. I watch Veronica Mars now. I love daring, provocative women with a great wardrobe and men who drink hard liquor shots, smoke a sexy cigarette and speak bluntly. I love the blurred edge between legal and illegal.

I should've been a spy.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know what wealthy supervillians do to spies, now don't you, lass?

You wouldn't want to be cut in half by a giant laser, heavens forbid!

Friday, 29 September, 2006  
Blogger Sandra said...

i wanted to be a singerteacherwriter.
that's it in a made up word. nothing so glamorous as a spy. that all sounded very cool. very spyish. i might like to be a spy. hmmmm.

Friday, 29 September, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I spy, with my little eye, something beginning to B. :D

Sunday, 01 October, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats