Monday, September 18, 2006

Managing Muddy Concerts...One Survivor's Story

I got substantially reduced tickets to go see the Black Eyed Peas at the Nemacolin Resort which was hosting the 84 Lumber Classic golf tourney. It was a PGA event, but I'm not much for golfing. Director/buddy and I basically went for the concert and to nose around and see what it is golf people do. Here follows some of my notes on the event.

Number of golfers spotted: 9, including Howell III, who's supposed to be a golfing "somebody".
Number of posers trying to look like they were with the PGA tour, probably to pick up women: 3 (that I spotted), including one trying to pull off a Vijay Singh impression.
Number of Concert goers: 30,000
Number of girls unprepared for concert in a muddy field: most of them--hello? flip flops!? Wedge heels?! It's been raining all week and even though the ground was soggy at your house when you left, and quite chilly, I might add, you decided to put on your flip flops and boob shirt. Sma-art.
Number of girls stuck in the mud, literally, after the concert: 5 that I stopped to laugh about. The mud was calf deep in some places by this point. That's why you wear boots.
Time concert was supposed to start: 6:00 p.m.
Time concert actually started: 8:30 p.m.
Number of beers consumed: ???? Not sure. We bought them in bulk considering how difficult it was to get out of the crowd and to the beer tent.
Price of beers: $4 a can--for a lousy Michelob light. They know where the gravy train is.
Number of trips to the Port-o-potty: 3 And it was gross.
Opening Act: So sucky I can't even remember the girl band's name. We spent most of our time booing them.
Black Eyed Peas: Right before they came out, some British cat comes on stage and asks everybody to take a step back. He got laughed at. We're packed in here like sardines, moron, no one has any room to go anywhere. You either have to be a bruiser and shove your way through (director/buddy), or you have to be slim and just skirt your way through (me). The BEP played all the popular songs. They sing well live--that's often a gripe about bands; they may have a decent CD, but they sing piss poor outside the studio. The BEP sang consistently. I don't think I have a favorite song, but they closed with Let's Get It Started, which I like. Fergie didn't look as stylin' as I thought she should.
Number of underage drinkers: 4 right next to us. So we made fun of them most of the night when we got a chance. They were too hard on about their two illicit beers to do anything about it. And scared. We knew they were underage because they had no white "beer bracelet," where they check you for ID previously. And on a side note, I still apparently get pissed when someone goes out of their way to comment on how small my wrists are while they're putting some kind of club bracelet on me. Don't you have 29,999 other people to deal with instead of taking the time to comment on a part of my arm?
Number of drunken men that lurched into me: 3
Number of drunken men who got shoved in the opposite direction: 3
Number of people who cleared out from us once strategic maneuvers were employed: A whole swath!! It never ceases to amaze me when people will just shove in front of you without literally 3 inches of space to be had. As in, your shoulder bone is at my nose. That ain't gonna work. So, there are several tactics you can use in a situation like this. Feel free to use them. All of them worked for us at one time or another: 1) Scream "Whooooo!" over their shoulder at the concert. Hey, they decided to put their ear in your face, help them understand why that might be a miscalculation. 2) Get Happy Hips. And one and two and three and shove. Oh, I can't turn three inches without knocking you down? Guess you better back the fuck up, then. 3) Comment on how incredibly rude it was over and over and over and over and over again as loudly as possible. Aww, you can't hear Fergie's London Bridge song? I guess you shouldn't have put your ass in my way then, should you? 4) Sneeze. This was an accident, but it worked anyway. And my personal favorite: 5) Oh, God, I think I spit up in my mouth a little...I think I'm gonna puke! This cleared them out quick.

The bus situation after the concert was a NIGHTMARE. 30,000 people trying to get into 5 or 6 buses at a time, when the buses wouldn't pull up all the way. Pushing, shoving, screaming, cursing, etc. I now understand how the bussing in New Orleans went so terribly wrong. I can only imagine what panic would add to the mix.

Would I go again?: No. It just wasn't worth it. Now, maybe if Rob Zombie was playing in a muddy field...

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find it ridiculous that concert management in so many outdoor venues don't make better efforts to minimize the misery caused by rain and other forms of bad weather. I don't know what your place is like, but the meadows music theatre (now named something else by some bullshit corporation) in Connecticut. More than half the people, the ones who sit on the lawn can barely see the fucking stage!

Trying to look at the stage is like trying to look through a world war two pillbox. The places close to the stage have a stupid fucking roof that is too damn low, blocking the vision of those at the top of the grass section, and a series of security gates and fences between the grass area and the seating area which blocks the view for more people as well.

Not only do you have these travesties, but a goddam beer will cost you $5, food is ridiculously overpriced, they fuck with you for just bringing a video camera inside, and have the nerve to pat you down as if you were some fucking terrorist boarding an airplane.

Another thing that pisses me off about the place is how elitist it is towards headlining act, then treating the supporting acts like shit. I remember going to the Ozzfest and all the supporting acts audio sounded like shit, but Ozzy's band had perfect sound (but the immediately preceding acts sounded better, but not as good as the ozzmans band). To me, it was just so jerry-rigged.

I really hate the meadows (now dodge I think) music theatre. It wouldn't suprise me if other so-called music theatres were just as shitty.

That is why I will take a football or baseball stadium over such mediocre entertainment venues any day of the week. Sports stadiums always have good sound. I remember when the Rolling Stones came to Rentschler Football field last year, and everything was fantastic, even from the nosebleed seats. For a bunch of 50-60 year olds, they were awesome, probably better than the 20-30 year olds you normally see.

No matter where you were in that stadium, you always had perfect sound and spectacular visuals. For the Ozzfest at the meadows, you probably had a few firecrackers, alongside some cheap props that could have easily been seen at any decent performing music club. Plus, not to mention the fact that most of the bands fucking perform in broad daylight, which totally ruins any potential drama.

You want to know why sports stadiums are superior for presentations? Because they make an honest effort to give everyone the best possible show possible. They know that nutty baseball and football fans will go apeshit if they feel that the experience is less than optimal. So the stadium owners go out of their way to make sure things are run properly.

Monday, 18 September, 2006  
Blogger contemplator said...

It was pretty poorly managed. No doubt about that. We shoved our way to a good spot and defended said spot, but if I were going to a concert that had the potential to get rougher (like Rob Zombie), I'd need a few more bruisers with me.

I could probably use an attack dog, too. Want to come?

Tuesday, 19 September, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'd do it. You might have to settle for another band, though. (but there's a lot of bruisers out there).

Zombie doesn't tour anywhere near you anytime soon.

9/19/2006

8:00 PM Tour
Bonner Springs, KS Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre

66012 ROB ZOMBIE & GODSMACK

ticketmaster | # | Comment
9/21/2006

8:00 PM Tour
Denver, CO Red Rocks Amphitheatre

4600 Humboldt St 80216 ROB ZOMBIE & GODSMACK

ticketmaster | # | Comment
9/22/2006

8:00 PM Tour
Albuquerque, NM Journal Pavilion

P.O. Box 19010 87119-0010 ROB ZOMBIE & GODSMACK

ticketmaster | # | Comment
9/23/2006

8:00 PM Tour
Phoenix, AZ Cricket Pavilion

2121 North 83rd Ave. 85035 ROB ZOMBIE & GODSMACK

ticketmaster | # | Comment
9/24/2006

8:00 PM Tour
Las Vegas, NV Theatre Under The Stars

89109 ROB ZOMBIE & GODSMACK

ticketmaster | # | Comment
9/26/2006

Tour
Boise, ID The Big Easy

416 S. 9th St. 83702 SOLD OUT!

ticket master | # | Comment
9/27/2006

8:00 PM Tour
Auburn, WA White River Amphitheater

40601 Auburn Enumclaw Road 98092 ROB ZOMBIE & GODSMACK

ticketmaster | # | Comment
9/29/2006

8:00 PM Tour
Sacramento, CA Sleep Train Amphitheatre

95901 ROB ZOMBIE & GODSMACK

ticketmaster | # | Comment
9/30/2006

8:00 PM Tour
Irvine, CA Irvine Meadows/Verizon Wireless Amphitheater

8808 Irvine Center Dr. 92618 ROB ZOMBIE & GODSMACK

ticketmaster | # | Comment
10/1/2006

8:00 PM Tour
Concord, CA Sleep Train Pavilion at Concord

2000 Kirker Pass Rd. 94521-1642 ROB ZOMBIE & GODSMACK

ticketmaster | #

Tuesday, 19 September, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There was bussing in New Orleans?

---------------

Oh and the under age drinking reminds me of a time an organized, public college party got raided and I'm in with a circle of about 15 friends and the only legal one in that group - a year older. So the detectives pick our group, and pick the youngest looking one in the group - me!

Well, so of course the rest of the group instantly disappears like magic (all being underage) and these guys assume it must be because I'm guilty as all hell and my "friends" don't want to know me.

Well by the time I've fished out my license, the whole party's had the word that there's a raid and suddenly it's about 1/3 the size it previously was. And of course these guys have noticed that, but at least they've got one of the fuckers. The look on their face when the drivers license comes out was priceless. Hell if I'd had any more sense of drama I might've fumbled around a little longer and made a few more 'stalling' excuses - really got them thinking I was trapped. Well they were surprised when the license arrived. And even more surprised when it said I was legal. You could see them looking at the DoB, and the photo and me and the DoB and the photo. Then I got, "Do you have anything else with that?"

What the...

So out comes a stack of other ID.

Then they started quizzing me trying to catch me out.

Very sad.

Ah, but looking innocent has it's advantages.

Wednesday, 20 September, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bambi, are you sure you didn't mean to post this in another thread? We were talking about concerts here.

Wednesday, 20 September, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know, you tell me sugar!

Number of underage drinkers: 4 right next to us. So we made fun of them most of the night when we got a chance. They were too hard on about their two illicit beers to do anything about it. And scared. We knew they were underage because they had no white "beer bracelet," where they check you for ID previously.

...

The bus situation after the concert was a NIGHTMARE. 30,000 people trying to get into 5 or 6 buses at a time, when the buses wouldn't pull up all the way. Pushing, shoving, screaming, cursing, etc. I now understand how the bussing in New Orleans went so terribly wrong. I can only imagine what panic would add to the mix.

Wednesday, 20 September, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, never mind. I misread what you wrote.

Wednesday, 20 September, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats