Thursday, September 21, 2006

A Small Rant on Action (OK, It's Fairly Long)

While I get pretty aggravated at the state of the world and my country sometimes, particularly when I see children going without supper or clean clothes, old people who have to decide between gas bills and medicine, people with learning disabilities struggling to read--don't get me started!!--I have to say that there's a small special place of ire in my heart for people who like to bitch about it but do nothing to stop it.

I'm thinking in particular about a board member or two that I have, but some of it applies to people I know and have discussions with as well. Or people who look the other way. Or people who in general are not kind to children.

It doesn't take much out of life to make the world a marginally better place. Not much at all. You'd be surprised. Honestly. And once you start to give a care, you may start digging deeper. And then you may be surprised at what you find.

For instance, I don't understand why some of the graduate students at my university continue to run the Prison Book Project. This is a place where people can drop off used books that will then be donated to the local maximum security prison. Small problem with that is, 70% of prisoners (nationally) are functionally illiterate. So your books do them no damn good except to beat someone else over the head with. How much time would it take to figure that out? On the other hand, when education is introduced to the prison population (as in reading tutors or getting your GED) the recidivism rate goes down. Consistently. But it's easier to drop off your books and then bitch about the prison system, I guess.

The worst has to be knowing that a child is being abused, seeing the dirty clothes and bruises, the hints about not having had anything to eat since school let out, and doing nothing to stop it. I don't care how you feel about Social Services. No kid deserves to be smacked around (or worse) all the time. I'm not saying people need to have itchy fingers just waiting to dial the phone. But ask. Investigate. Get involved. Try to figure out what's going on.

Another thing that aggravates me, while we're on the subject. There are (around the year 2000, anyway) about 218 million eligible voters in the USA. 111 million of them voted. Part of the reason for the low turnout of eligible voters is that over 30% of people in the USA are functionally illiterate. (See my pattern here?) They can't read the registration forms and they can't read the information on the voting machine, so they won't go vote. I don't know what the problem is for registered voters who for whatever reason just decide not to vote. But why not start talking about politics in a real way again? Why not go to your townhall meetings, or talk with your mayor, your city council, the people who can make a real difference in your town now, instead of waiting for some nebulous November senator to magically fix everything? Why not start forming coalitions with your neighbors, the same ones who have to live next to the polluted creek just like you do? Or go register people to vote instead of bitching about why they don't. Or teach someone to read so they can go register to vote.

Don't bitch about how Washington (or the governor or whoever) spends the money and wastes it. Quit calling each other "conservatards" and "liberal scum". And above all, don't bitch to me about people pulling themselves up by their bootstraps. I'll drive you out to a few places here and in my home state, and you can explain it to me over a strip mine. Just stop it already. Roll your sleeves up and go to work. Pick up the damn trash on the road or clean out your section of the creek. Go to somebody's fundraiser, if you don't have the time to pick up the trash yourself. Give them a little bit of money to buy school supplies for needy kids or cheap medicines for poor people.

Just do something.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Part of the reason for the low turnout of eligible voters is that over 30% of people in the USA are functionally illiterate.

You know, right about now I desperately wish I could call you a liar - OK, I don't wish I could call you a liar, I wish you were lying. (I take it functional literacy is being able to fill out forms)

I know you're not lying, so instead I'm going to go away and have a solid cry for the future of humanity. (I know that wasn't where you were trying to go with your post)

Sorry :'(

Friday, 22 September, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was going through university, I took up with the local literacy campaign, took a course on adult literacy, and ended up teaching close to 100 adults to read. It is AMAZING how bright many of those people were. The coping mechanisms they had developed to compensate for their lack of literacy were pure genius.

One summer, another instructor and I did sessions at a nearby prison. It was, to say the least, a surreal experience. Armed guards actually sat at the front of the room while we were teaching. It was an eye-opener for sure.

I remember one guy who was very quiet, but a very quick learner. He impressed the hell out of me. I later learned he was a lifer and had only got into the program because he had such a good behaviour record. I never did ask what he'd done to get in there.

Sunday, 24 September, 2006  
Blogger contemplator said...

bambi: Functional illiteracy means that you can get by but you still can't read. So most of the time that includes filling out forms, as we're addicted to forms here in the West. But it also means that they probably can't read the instructions on their pill bottles, their children's notes from their teachers, and a whole host of things.

Audrey: Nice avatar!! Did you teach in the USA or in Canada? I believe if there were more vocational tracks in high school and some of the requirements were different for those who were at risk of failing or dropping out, we'd see lower crime rates, too.

But as usual, we don't do what's best for the individual, we teach to some "higher" standard that presupposes everyone has the same opportunities in life. It breaks my heart when I see teenagers headed for a lifetime of what their parents are going through. And not being able to do a thing to stop it.

Sunday, 24 September, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats