Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Times I Should've Existed

I was born in 1977 a day later than my buddy Mad Dog. I came of age during the late 80's/early 90s. Because I lived in a small town, the trends came to us a few years later. So while the rest of you were on to flannel shirts and grunge, we were still stuck on fingerless gloves and hairsprayed bangs. The earliest video I ever saw was Aerosmith's "Janie's Got A Gun." I was really impressed. The second earliest video I can remember seeing was Prince's "Little Red Corvette." I was equally impressed. I remember when Nirvana was new (which none of my students can), and I can remember when LL Cool J went from Old School to Comeback (although he's been here for years).

But for so many reasons, I think I missed my time. I realize we're a product of biology, our raising, our communities and our social influences. But I still think I missed my time. There are three times specifically that I think I missed. Or maybe I lived through them in another lifetime and have fond memories?? Either way:

The 20s:
I can so get down with being a flapper in a speak-easy. Screw the rules. The birth of jazz. Those bizzare dances. All the new inventions. Women got the vote!! Susan B. Anthony rocks! Susan B. Anthony day, by the way, is February 15th, the day after Valentine's Day. In high school, we celebrated it in place of Valentine's Day.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The 60s:
I could so have been a flower girl! I could get down with peace and rebelling against straight laced suits and the sexual revolution (and yes, I recognize that the sexual revolution did more for men than it did for women). And the birth control pill! I would've been down for rallies. Third Wave Feminism, which I was born into, has been derailed by eating disorders. I've attended one proper feminist rally in my life. Nobody wants to throw bricks at the system anymore. Sigh.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The 70s:
I don't care if I do lose cool points: I love disco. I love the pants. I love the hair. I love the groovy songs. And yes, I probably would've had the coke problem that came with loving the 70s. But it was the time of funk, baby! Kiss me on my ego!
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suppose a university educated, liberated, autonomous woman about to enter the prime of her life, using the internet to blog about her larger affinity with days of old, does not at face value reek of hypocrisy or oversight, but instead shows two things; firstly that the naughties is yet to produce an iconic and nostalgic archetype, filtered and softened by time; and secondly highlights a fervent wish that it will not be the decade of "Reality" television, Global Warming denial, a plunge into wilful ignorance, religious fervour, and the decade that Bush set the world on the path to destruction.

Life is good. Suck it in baby, the world is at your feet.

And who knows, maybe one day I'll be privaleged enough to walk a mile in your shoes and see if experiences takes the lustre off my cockiness as I expand my horizons.

(and don't smack me for making the first paragraph one sentence). Oh OK, if you must, use the flat, not the heel. Actually, knock yourself out there sugar, like I'd have the temerity to tell you what to do...

Tuesday, 03 October, 2006  
Blogger Sandra said...

oh the pants! i loved the pants of the 70's. and wearing them barefoot with a tube top and feather earrings(ack!) was even better. i tried, read tried, to keep the disco and coke in moderation.., but never the rock and roll.

great post!

Tuesday, 03 October, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The twenties? Your'e not the first person I know who romanced the 1920's. I remember there was a teacher in my high school who taught a class about the roaring twenties. However, the reason why I can't really romance them is because I know that it was still part of the Gilded Age, in which you only enjoyed yourself if you were wealthy, and it was the decade that proceeded the Stock Market Crash and the Great Depression. Sorry to depress you with economics.

I like the sixties. But I would like to remind you that for all its romantic, revolutionary and idealistic qualities, there were darker sides to that equation as well. If you can, try to read the early books of Hunter S. Thompson to understand what I am talking about.

The seventies also had some things that I liked. I would be happy to go back in time, just to see the heyday concerts of Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Ted Nugent, Deep Purple (With Ian Gillian, of course), Agent Orange, The Sex Pistols, Alice Cooper, The Stooges, David Bowie, Hawkwind, plus maybe some others. I also liked the more generally liberal social atmosphere, as fashion, behavior, social consciousness, and attitude were quite different from any other decade.

Saturday, 07 October, 2006  
Blogger contemplator said...

mad dog: jazz didn't belong to the rich people. And I have a degree in Economics, so I'm fully aware of the Great Depression.

sandra: feather earrings!! Be still my heart!

bambi: I think you're right that there isn't anything so far in this decade to be too particularly proud of. But historical hindsight is always 20/20.

Wednesday, 11 October, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never said that Jazz belonged to the rich people. I was just saying that during the 20's, the people who enjoyed the decade were the wealthy, before unions became strong. That's all. I have nothing against Jazz.

Wednesday, 11 October, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats