Wednesday, December 06, 2006

The Koan of the Wind and the Flag

Two monks were arguing about a flag. One said: `The flag is moving.'

The other said: `The wind is moving.'

The sixth patriach happened to be passing by. He told them: `Not the wind, not the flag; mind is moving.'

Wind, flag, mind moves.
The same understanding.
When the mouth opens
All are wrong.


Many times, language fails. I think wisdom is learning to think deeply, seeing the wind, the flag, and your mind, and keeping your mouth shut.

--Virgil


The Last of the A-Z's of Me:
Y - Yummy food/s: Lebanese, Japanese, Mexican...aw hell, who am I kidding? I love it all!

Z - Zodiac sign: Leo. Raowr.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice darl. 8-|

Oh, and quote of the day.
...and yes, I am fully aware of the irony of having to appear on television in order to decry it.
Sideshow Bob.

:D

Wednesday, 06 December, 2006  
Blogger contemplator said...

Is that your "zen face", bambi?

Thursday, 07 December, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm only lernun. Be gentle with me please. 8-|

...actually... hold that thought. ;)

Thursday, 07 December, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your zen thoughts and appreciate the time it takes you to post these.

Thursday, 07 December, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Y - Yummy food/s: Lebanese, Japanese, Mexican...aw hell, who am I kidding? I love it all!"

I love it all too. In fact, I'm on a "See Food" Diet. If I see food, I eat it!

Thursday, 07 December, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If it was just your mind moving, then only you would perceive it, and no one else. The correct answer is that the wind is moving, which moves the flag.

Tuesday, 12 December, 2006  
Blogger contemplator said...

Nope, symbols. Go back and meditate some more, young grasshopper. :D

Tuesday, 12 December, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suppose theoretically you could be right if one person could produce the illusion in his/her mind, but then transplant it to other people's minds: I.E., telepathy.

Tuesday, 12 December, 2006  
Blogger contemplator said...

Nope. That ain't it either. Keep thinking, though. It's good for you!

Tuesday, 12 December, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats