Sunday, December 03, 2006

Willpower: A Resource. Who Knew?

I came across an article in the weekend edition of the London Financial Times, a newspaper I highly recommend, by the way. The full article can be found here.
An interesting new paper by three University of Michigan economists argues that willpower is a scarce resource like any other. You cannot exceed your allocation of willpower any more than you can buy a round of drinks with an empty purse.

It’s a plausible view: economic psychologists have found that people make more impulsive decisions if they have already had to resist earlier temptations than if they come fresh to the chocolate bar. Many of us have caved in and given ourselves a “reward” after a day of hard work.


I found this really interesting to think about. If I make 2 resolutions, my willpower gets allocated 50% to each, as it were. So there may only be half a chance I can follow through. It just gets worse the more resolutions I add to the mix. So what that means for all of us thinking about things like New Year's Resolutions is perhaps to pick only one thing at a time. Make a list, maybe, but go in some sort of order. The article goes on to suggest doing something like outsourcing for tough decisions. So, if your resolve is to save more money, get it automatically deducted from your paycheck into your bank account so you don't even have to think about doing it.

I personally stopped making New Year's Resolutions about 6 years ago. Why make a big list at the beginning of the year? What difference does it make? If you want to get out of debt, start now. There's nothing magical about the first of the year. Besides, I've found that most resolution-makers get pretty depressed when they fail to follow through with most if not all of their resolutions. Why not conserve your willpower and apply it to one thing at a time instead? It's working that way for me.


-- Virgil

The A-Z's of Me:
S- Song: Voodoo Child by Jimi Hendrix

T- Time you woke up: 10:30 a.m. After the 17 hour day I pulled yesterday of nothing but work, I don't feel guilty about this one.

U - Unknown fact about you: I was in a band for 10 years as a child.

21 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you like the voodoo drugs? And if so, do you like the voodoo drugs while you listen to Voodoo Child?

Monday, 04 December, 2006  
Blogger contemplator said...

What do you think constitute voodoo drugs, mad dog?

And yes, I've known how to play music since I was a little girl.

Monday, 04 December, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The word verification said - hwahfwfa

Coincidentally, so do I. :D


I on the other hand am not surprised at all, and I bet you play very well too. 8-)

I bet you even play stuff with melodic harmonies that charms and lures and soothes woodland creatures.

Tuesday, 05 December, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I think that whoever asked you that question about the voodoo drugs was probably referring to the drugs that voodoo wizards use. The kind that makes people into zombies? I don't know.

Tuesday, 05 December, 2006  
Blogger contemplator said...

Jimbo--

I have a sneaking IP related suspicion that you might know more than you claim...

Tuesday, 05 December, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, your'e probably right. I think my guess is pretty good too. Don't they use heroin down there too?

Tuesday, 05 December, 2006  
Blogger contemplator said...

Heroin "down where"? Your street?

Tuesday, 05 December, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No no, I meant in the Carribean. Like in Jamaica.


*come to jamaica and feel all right*

Tuesday, 05 December, 2006  
Blogger contemplator said...

Have you been looking at my travel plans?? What a nosy little pet you are!

Tuesday, 05 December, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pet? Pet what?

Tuesday, 05 December, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aaah. Jimbo-Liar. One of my favourite dishes served cold. :D

Tuesday, 05 December, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I honestly didn't know about your plans to Jamaica, I was just talking about voodoo.

Tuesday, 05 December, 2006  
Blogger contemplator said...

That's alright, Jimbo, I'll train you up right in no time flat. ;)

Wednesday, 06 December, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Train him to do what?

Wednesday, 06 December, 2006  
Blogger contemplator said...

Why, to be a better pet, of course. You should know that.

Thursday, 07 December, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, if you don't know what voodoo drugs are, then do you take any drugs while listening to voodoo child?

Friday, 08 December, 2006  
Blogger contemplator said...

Anony Mouse: obsessed, much?

Friday, 08 December, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You don't like answering questions, do you?

Saturday, 09 December, 2006  
Blogger contemplator said...

I tell very little to strangers, sugar.

Saturday, 09 December, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can tell me. 8D

Sunday, 10 December, 2006  
Blogger contemplator said...

Well, you seem to enjoy role-playing the "stranger", so I felt that I would indulge you.

Sunday, 10 December, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats