Friday, December 01, 2006

Realization

Make an island of yourself,
Make yourself your refuge;
There is no other refuge.
Make truth your island,
Make truth your refuge;
There is no other refuge.

Digha Nikaya, 16



I stepped away from that and I lost my way. It isn't so much about being distrustful, as it is realizing that you can only control your reaction to something; you can't control anyone else's. And it's not that I'm "right", but I am the truth because I know the truth about myself. And when I pretend that the truth is something it isn't, well, we ended up where we are.

-- Virgil

The A-Z's of Me:
P - Phobias: Swallowing batteries (don't ask); fear of deep water

Q - Favorite Quote: Edward Everett Hale: "I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; And because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do."

R - Reason to smile: I have photographic proof of one of the biggest assholes I went to undergraduate school with finally getting his comeupance--from Courtney Love, no less. She beaned him in the head with a microphone and I have the magazine photo of him with his head all wrapped up and looking forlorn. Priceless!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you!

I have a new favourite quote.

That is so beautiful in it's simplicity and truth.

Thursday, 30 November, 2006  
Blogger Kari said...

I absolutely LOVE your quote. I have added it to the long list of those I love and read frequently. Thanks.

Friday, 01 December, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats