Thursday, February 15, 2007

Celebrate Susan B. Anthony Day!!

In a fit of Valentine's Day repulsion, my friends and I discovered while in high school that the day after V-Day is Susan B. Anthony Day! Ironic, eh? It was great for us single women who thought that Valentine's Day was a crock. We generally went about the day bashing heterosexual standards and norms and pointing out sexual discrimination wherever we could find it. I think we also jeered couples whom we felt could use a little SBA Day (such as the cheerleader with her lead-head jock boyfriend). Them was good times.

But you know, why can't we make more out of SBA Day nowadays? I think this country needs some good jeering of heterosexual expectations and norms. This is my day to celebrate (and anyone else who wants to join in), I'm just not sure what to do. The older me and her older friends would probably go out and drink and mock the world. That somehow doesn't seem adequate now.

It would seem a little strange to go around telling women to VOTE! when there isn't an election coming up. I didn't have much foreplanning for today, but I'd love some suggestions. Maybe I could still go around pointing out sex discrimination where I see it? Maybe I could rant about heterosexual norms and standards? My little blog seems kind of a lonely space in which to do these things, compared to the marauding band of gals I used to terrorize the hallways with...

Oh, well, I guess you at least have to start with awareness raising, right? I'll report back on the variety of things I pulled off for SBA Day this year, and hopefully plan a better one next year. Stay tuned!

-- Virgil

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's not much but...

She said
Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than any one thing in the world. It gives her a feeling of self-reliance and independence the moment she takes her seat; and away she goes, the picture of untrammelled womanhood.

I know it was from a different time, and predated the automobile, but there's still something about going for a bike ride. The wind in your hair... The childish pleasures... And the independance...

Maybe this year doesn't need to be about making a huge statement. Maybe this year you should just go for a quiet bike ride and think about how times have changed, but that the simple pleasures still remain if you take the time to seek them out. Maybe this Susan B Anthony day should be about you and appreciating the wonderful things you have - as well as being mistress of your own destiny.

Maybe tag a friend along or two. Maybe organise a charity ride next year. Maybe combine it with your literacy drive. She was also all for eductaing women, maybe Feb 15 could concentrate on both in future years.

(Oh and anything that clears out the lungs and gets the blood pumping and tones asses, thighs and calves has to be good) :D

Friday, 16 February, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats