Monday, June 04, 2007

Class sucks.

I've decided that I'm terminating at a Master's, because I can do what I want on that degree without having to go through four or five more years of departmental bullshit. In fact, I really narrow my options down if I go on to a PhD, because then I'm considered too specialized. I do much better outside of a rigid structure anyway, and if I chose to continue teaching at the university--which I could certainly do on the education I'd have by then--I can more or less do whatever the hell I wanted to. Sign me up!

I took a good, hard look at everything from my personality to what I really enjoy doing, and I just don't have the passion for the scholarship part of it. I like English as an intellectual exercise sometimes. Let's talk about subversive power structures in Harriet Beecher Stowe's Uncle Tom's Cabin, whoo-hoo! Or how about Milton's Satan in Paradise Lost--was he really trying to say he was an atheist? Or how about the underlying rhetoric of cosmetic ads? Talk to me baby! But I like that best accompanied by a cold beer and some good buddies.

I'm simply not interested in burying myself in Emily Dickenson and discussing the meaning of Her Fucking Dashes (the bizarre punctuation she uses in her poems) for the rest of my life--or the equivalent. I want to read the newspaper again. Or a book for fun. I want to read Foucault and think to myself, now how does this work in the *real* world, not how can I apply this to Tom Sawyer. And yes, I'm geeky enough to actually still read Foucault without being in school. How can you pass up something entitled Discipline & Punish?

I've been coming to this decision for a while, but something in the class I'm currently taking really punctuated it for me. This has been a class filled with some of the most bizzare people sitting in the same room together. Check out The Undesirable Element's latest post (see the sidebar) for some more of that class' nonsense. But some of them are *really* into what they do. One girl has been scrapbooking about Emily Dickenson (or somesuch) since she was in highschool--she's in the PhD program now. For her project she is writing about a manuscript of E.D.'s poems by writing her own manuscript about how she is reading the manuscript...or...ehrm...I can't really figure it out. It made my head spin. But another chick in that class, the Gypsy, as we refer to her, said something the other day about "Keats' famous comma."

And that's when I realized that I didn't give a shit about English graduate school.

Keats' famous comma is in the line before last of Ode on a Grecian Urn. This particular poem does not have the best history with me personally (not that it cares), as I always saw it as the perfect poem for White Male Domination. Keats is waxing on about this cold and unchangable pot, about how it remains long after men have died, how it's, like, the Holy Grail of Greek influence, and how some kind of eternal truth (as defined by Dead White Males) is to be found on that pot, if she would but only reveal it to us! He totally sexualizes the pot. Being a young undergraduate, that stupid poem came to represent everything that was so wrong with the world in a way that only English majors can understand. When he starts the poem with "THOU still unravish'd bride of quietness," you know you're in for some patriarchal goodness. All I wanted to do by the end of the poem was to smash the urn into a bazillion pieces. Which, I suppose, is some sort of metaphor for militant feminism. Whatever. Pressing forward. The "famous" comma is in the next to last line:
When old age shall this generation waste,
Thou shalt remain, in midst of other woe
Than ours, a friend to man, to whom thou say'st,
'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'

The "controversy" is in the comma after the word "beauty." People have been fighting about it for over 100 years. Is the urn talking to Keats? To the reader? Is Keats translating the urn for the reader? Does the urn stop talking after the word "beauty" and does Keats say the rest, or does the urn say the whole last two lines? Does anybody give a flying fuck?

I'm not saying that it isn't an interesting thing or a philosophically important thing (is it??). It's just not something I can devote a lifetime to. I'm not programmed that way. People are starving, kids are being abused, people can't read, governments are screwing things up, and I need to do things that make me think and feel like I'm addressing those problems in some way. I know what that means for me, and it has nothing to do with Emily's Fucking Dashes.

Such things make interesting cocktail conversation, but I don't think I'd want to build a life around it. The Gypsy, however, seemed really into it, as she seems to be with most things English. I'm not that into it. I'm just casually dating it, I'm not ready to settle down with it and have kids. I still want to read the newspaper and have a life of my own.

-- Virgil

10 Comments:

Blogger samuel said...

Cosmetics and airbrushing prove that there is no necessary truth in beauty. Furthermore, beauty is subjective dependent on the taste and whim of the one partaking in.

Or, I think that sushi is one of the most visually beautiful forms of food as edible art, yet I have serious issues with texture of most raw fish as well as no love for the seaweed, and I detest roe. So the sight of sushi makes me want to enjoy it, but it's impossible for me.

Does that help?

Monday, 04 June, 2007  
Blogger contemplator said...

LOL. You've solved the problem of the ages!! You should totally come into the English department. They could use a good dose of you.

Incidentally, you may try going with sushi that seems familiar to you: try the shrimp sushi first. Once you see how good it is, you'll get over the texture of the other things.

Truth is sushi, sushi is beautiful.

Monday, 04 June, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"One girl has been scrapbooking about Emily Dickenson (or somesuch) since she was in highschool--she's in the PhD program now. For her project she is writing about a manuscript of E.D.'s poems by writing her own manuscript about how she is reading the manuscript...or...ehrm...I can't really figure it out. It made my head spin. But another chick in that class, the Gypsy, as we refer to her, said something the other day about "Keats' famous comma."

What the FUCK!?!


These people are trapped in the past. They have no fucking clue as to what is going on. If any of them were half decent, they would write about something that had relevance within the past 50 years! Time for Fortune Teller Mad Dog's mystical prediction:

*lights candles and polishes crystal ball...*

"I see.... I see... I see these people enjoying the glamour of flipping burgers at Wendy's and living in their mother's basements!"

"And that's when I realized that I didn't give a shit about English graduate school."

How unfortunate, for the school that is, to lose someone who actually contributes to society.

Monday, 04 June, 2007  
Blogger contemplator said...

Funny, a lot of the "thinking" people have been chosing to quit and go somewhere else. Academia has become a giant machine that grinds out PhDs & other degrees without any real sense of what it is doing.

I actually, believe it or not, prefer the people who still want to talk about old literature. You should see the pricks who are working on the new & modern stuff.

The trick is to show the importance of the old stuff. I've only known two or three people with the skill to show how, say, literature from the 1850s is important to the modern person. It's a rare talent.

Monday, 04 June, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry about that.

Monday, 04 June, 2007  
Blogger JP said...

I know what you mean here. I knew by the end of the spring semester that I didn't want to get a PhD, but this recent manuscript class has completely solidified my resolve. Every time I go to class, I'm more and more certain that I don't want to do this for the rest of my life.

Just look at that ridiculous manuscript packet we got. I can't even read that shit, let alone care about what revisions she made. Phone booths were used for hobos to urinate in. I'm glad their gone.

Tuesday, 05 June, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dabbled with the idea of studying English literature at university (back when I was actually able to string together a meaningful sentence...). But then, I decided that if I were made to study English texts for hours - it would destroy the love I have for reading, so chose to go down a different path.

I still love to read, and read whenever I can :) (Seriously - one of my favourite places in the world is my local library....)

Tuesday, 05 June, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yikes - I had planned, if I'm not dead before I graduate, to follow in your footsteps. Not necessarily in English Lit but maybe Sociology. After what you've told me I'm completely freaked! Its so depressing to me that places like universities are caught up in the same bullshit I see everywhere else. I know it's naive, but I had hoped and thought somehow they'd be different. *sigh*

Tuesday, 05 June, 2007  
Blogger contemplator said...

Well, I got in trouble (sort of) today in class for being a tad disruptive, & my big mouth as usual did it. I'm rather bored at this point.

Brunne, there's quite a bit of grind that goes into a graduate program, no matter what department you're in. That's just the sad reality of it. There are some people, though, that love it. They love every bit of it, and they want to devote their time totally to it. You have to shovel through shit in every job--if you have something you love, you shovel it without really hating it, because it's in the way of something you love. But if you don't love your job, well, ... you're just shovelling shit, I guess.

What a dumb metaphor!

What I'm trying to tell you is, for some people, academia is a great fit--it's their passion and what they love, in spite of anything else they have to go through to get there. I'm just not one of those people, and I can't make myself into something I'm not. I'll likely still adjunct at the university, but my main goal is to get further into nonprofit--be a director or something like that.

Keep doing it until you don't like it anymore. I think the critical point is the Master's stage. If you can get through the MA, and you want more, go on to the PhD--because you can't really quit without bad professional consequences if you start the PhD.

Bottom line is do what you love--you can't really go wrong that way.

Kitush--one of the things I love most about not being in school?--time to read whatever the hell I want!!

Tuesday, 05 June, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Phone Booths were also used by Clark Kent to turn into Superman - without them, there is no last son of krypton!!!!"

Looks like he'll have to use outhouses then.

Thursday, 07 June, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats