Friday, January 18, 2008

And It Begins Again...

So, the first week of university is behind us, and I have to say that I thought I would have a little more to bitch about than what I do. Or, perhaps I truly despised the last two classes so badly that this crew has goodwill to just burn through, if they want it. Either way, I actually like this crowd. I mean, I really like them. They've shown more sparks of intelligence in the first week, where we don't really do anything anyway, than the last crowd did all semester. And they seem to have their own personalities.

Mama is impressed.

So far, we have talked about Isaac Asimov, I have a self proclaimed "radical atheist", and Monty Python has made its way into the classroom. One girl announced that she was a legal midget. Of course, I have one student who thinks he's the second coming of Ray Bradbury, leaving me with a short work of sci-fi to read over my break. I can still tell who the slackers are going to be (a skill which never fails to amaze me). One girl wants to take a snooze, which I'll need to nip in the bud next week. But so far...we're actually cool.

I have three boys who took the class together, because they're bffs. They had a fourth boy with them, but he was apparently too dumb to figure out how to sign up for my class and accidentally put himself in someone else's. It took us two days to figure out where he was really supposed to be. They're the ones who brought Monty Python into the classroom. As part of an ice-breaker/group work thing, I had them get into groups and come up with three questions. Their questions obviously came from the search for the Holy Grail. "WHAT is your favorite color??" "For what do you quest??"

So, today I decided to answer in kind. And, to turn the tables on them, I made them answer me back.

I read the paper: "WHAT is your favorite color?? Blue...no, wait, yellow! (And you say)???" That threw them off guard and the looks on their faces were priceless. As to the second question, I told them I wanted to answer correctly, but instead went for an answer from elsewhere in the movie.

"For what do you quest?? Answer: A shrubbery!!! A nice one...not too expensive. Now... GO!" They were giggling like 5th graders and declared it "the best answer ever."

And with that, I dismissed class.

--Virgil, Shocker of Students (this is why I'm hot)

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn. Where were you when I was a student??

Not only would I have developed a girl crush on you, I would've thought you were the coolest teacher /ever/

Friday, 18 January, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why can't I ever get profs like YOU! On the upside, I'm taking an intro to women's studies class this term, Gender and Power and I can already tell I'm going to love it. Nutrition on the other hand *sigh* is going to be filling a science requirement. Kind of says it all, doesn't it... Glad to hear you had fun in Mexico and this class appears to have some redeeming qualities to make up for the last two sets of gits!

Saturday, 19 January, 2008  
Blogger JP said...

I most definitely would NOT want you as a teacher. I can't deal with legitimacy anymore. I need those professors who have practically had their minds warped by the profession (such as those featured in Old English and Biopower). I've regressed to the level of a bad freshman. I don't want to learn anymore. Every time I fit some tidbit about post-colonial Victorian theory into my brain, something like tying my shoelaces or eating with a fork seeps out. I just want to get through the next four months without killing everyone else and then myself.

If you were my teacher, you'd make me some sort of project. I'd learn more or die trying.

Saturday, 19 January, 2008  
Blogger contemplator said...

brunny: it's *totally* my turn to have a good class of kids. Karma owes me big time.

kitush: several of my girl students seem to have girl crushes on me. One has started emailing me to tell me my class was like "a good book that you don't want to finish." Syrupy sweet.

JP: I specialize in making students like you give a shit again. I can both pander to your need to reference Battle Star Galactica and cause you to learn a thing or two in the process.

This is why I'm hot.

Saturday, 19 January, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah Baby. Smokin'

Sound like this term you're going to have it easy!

Sunday, 20 January, 2008  
Blogger Mrs Mac said...

LOL! I'd love to have seen thier faces. I know the type- they think they're the first ones to see Python let alone be a fan. Just like they all think they invented sex.

LOL

Saturday, 26 January, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you a knight who says "Nee"?

Saturday, 26 January, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey girl, just wanted to stop by and say hello to you. :) Hopefully I'll get to catch up on your blog this week.

Thursday, 31 January, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats