Monday, January 14, 2008

Acapulco Part 1

What follows is my recollection of my vacation, which I can mostly remember. My pictures didn't turn out as hot as I thought they would. And I busted my camera wiping out in a kayak, but turns out the pictures it was taking weren't up to its usual quality job anyway. So I need a new one. I like something I can slip in a pocket. I'm not opposed to going digital. I want something that'll take quality shots. Any recommendations would be appreciated. OK then. Here's two shots for now:

This was my part of the beach. I stayed at the Ritz and basically got in the elevator, went out the elevator door and stepped on the beach. A few more steps, and I was in the bay. I managed to go to other places in Acapulco and get in the Pacific Ocean, which I think is more beautiful than the Atlantic.

Photobucket

Part of the endless scenery of Mexico is the street vendors. In this case, we had a lot of beach vendors who would prowl the perimeters of the hotels trying to sell you scarves, hats, sunglasses, braiding services, you name it. I tried to negotiate with one of them, but she was too high. Director/Buddy snapped the picture. She appears to be hiding behind the tree. Director/Buddy was sitting where we were having breakfast. It was an open dining room that faced the beach, and the only thing between us and it was a net. It was gorgeous. I love the combination of food and aesthetics anyway, and to get my meals with the scenery I did and the breeze from the bay was just...wonderful.
Photobucket
I got pretty good at bargaining with vendors, and the one time I let myself pay more than something was worth was when I had a hell of a hangover and just couldn't be bothered to haggle in my quaint version of Italian and Spanish mangled together--"Italish", I was calling it. I've noticed when I go to Mexico (the last time around was filled with international intrigue, srsly) that the language thing works much differently than a classroom for foreign languages. You start to think and understand in that language. I couldn't tell you exactly what somebody had said to me, but I could tell you more or less what was going on. And I was usually right. It's just a different level of immersion that gets parts of your brain going you never knew existed.

More later. :)

-- Virgil

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats