Tuesday, September 23, 2008

I'm Mad as Hell, But What Can You Do?

OK, I'm pissed. I'm finally at the point as an activist where I feel like education, voting the "right" way, and the occasional visible protest are not enough. Even meeting the representatives and bitching to them is not enough. Obviously they are not enough, because we are still in the middle of a shit storm. At this point, I'm going back to the tried and true method of complaining via boycott of products and pointed letters. This is phase one of a multiphasic plan in which I get angrier and angrier until someone fucking listens. That usually tends to work, but I haven't tried it on a national scale as yet.

The first company to hear from me will be Taco Bell. A sad, sad loss to me personally, but this time of trial calls for sacrifices. I am also going to write letters to my local businesses that advertise during the Rush & Sean Hannity hour on our local talk radio program. I haven't crafted that one yet. Here's what I have so far.


Emil J. Brolick, President
Taco Bell
17901 Von Karman Ave
Irvine, CA 92614-6253
TEL: (949) 863-4500
FAX: (949) 863-409

Dear Mr. Brolick

I am writing to inform you that although it will be painful for me as a consumer, I will not purchase your products as long as you advertise on FOX News. I recently discovered that you are running your advertisements on this hurtful channel. Have you ever watched the "information" that is presented on those shows? It is absolutely shameful, full of misinformation and false labeling. I am so fed up with the way things are in our country, and FOX News is part of the problem. It gives people the impression that sloganism is OK and that tolerance is a dirty word. I have seen enough of the way things are going in this country, and it needs to change. Politicians need to change, the media needs to be more responsible, and our businesses need to consider the ethics of what they support.

FOX News does not broadcast news, it broadcasts propaganda.

If you want my business, you need to advertise in media that isn't so hurtful to Americans. One of your hot sauce packets says "Money talks." That's the truth, and you can make a huge statement to FOX News by pulling your advertising dollars away from them. I know that you need to make money by advertising, but please consider the money that you would be losing if more people like me, who are big supporters of your food, become as disgruntled as I am and start to boycott your products. I am a huge fan of Taco Bell--it is my favorite fast food restaurant. I particularly like the 7-Layer Burrito--I usually order two of them with extra hot sauce and a big Pepsi. Whenever I eat fast food, I eat Taco Bell. I love it. So, it will be a personal and sad loss for me to boycott your products. But I simply cannot continue to support you if you are willing to support something that is so damaging to our national intellect. I don't know what else to do. Please send FOX News the message that you are an ethical and responsible company and that you think about what you pour your money into.

Please end this quickly. I really want to get back to ordering 7-Layer Burritos again. Thank you.

-- Virgil

2 Comments:

Blogger JP said...

Wh...?? Boycotting Taco Bell?? You, madam, have just offended the sensibilities of our pal Batmite! I have seen him take a lot of abuse in stride, but taking a stand against Taco Bell may well force him to physically assault you.

Batmite is the man for whom the Taco Bell tolls. You may be willing to fight the good fight against the Taco Bell corporation, but are you prepared to destroy a man's heart?

:)

Tuesday, 23 September, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What exactly is Taco Bell?

Tuesday, 23 September, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats