Monday, June 29, 2009

The Madoff Question

Bernie Madoff received sentencing today: 150 years in prison for eleven counts of fraud (although hundreds of claims have been filed) and having been said to have stolen $65 billion in investments.

It's not that I don't feel sympathy for the people who were ripped off. We have investments of our own that are supposed to provide for our retirement and to help us get a home when we're ready. If somebody ripped us off, I'd be pissed, too. But there is something a little ... uneven in the punishment.

To start with, there is the possibility that the "loses" were miscalculated. At least per the defense attorney, who might be expected to say such things. But given that it is true Madoff grossly overstated the bottom line, how is it fair that some of the victims are demanding compensation at levels clearly based on fraud? They want the imaginary money -- not the actual money. And some very clearly believe they're entitled to it. Some rejected getting their principle back or some return of their cash in favor of holding out in hopes of a bigger chunk of Madoff's own personal ill gotten gains. As though even that conspicuous display of wealth would be enough to go around somehow.

How can a man serve 150 years? He can't. Those sentences are only given out in my opinion because they sound pejorative. They make us feel like a really harsh punishment has been handed down. Why not just ask for "life in prison"? I know that Madoff is sentenced per count of fraud, etc., so maybe there is just something about the technicalities of the legal system I don't understand in my faulting of it. But aside from the impossibility of serving this time and the unevenness of the sentencing, again in my opinion, there is something else that bothers me about Madoff's crime.

And I think it's the victims. Granted, Madoff was an equal opportunity burglar. If you check out this link, you can click on "email and letters" and it will show you actual copies of the letters and emails sent in by people victimized by Madoff. Incidentally, if you go about a third of the way down on the first batch, someone has sent a scam letter from the Congo asking for help cashing a check in return for 10% -- lololol. But, many of the notes include old folks whose entire pensions were tied up with Madoff, who are sick and have little hope of financial recovery, as well as many charitable institutions whose money was stolen. Allegedly he even robbed Spielberg. But when I read things like this from the victims, well, maybe you can see my irritation:

Madoff has shown “no remorse,” said victim Carla Hirschhorn, of Manalapan, New Jersey, at the hearing. She told Chin her life is a “living hell,” her mother is dependent on Social Security and her daughter works two jobs to pay tuition. link

The letters in the Wall Street Journal link frequently mention Madoff sticking them with "a home I cannot sell, my son's college fund gone and not a penny of savings."

If this is something to be outraged about, then where is the outrage for the working class people as well? They live it every day, not just when Wall Street investments get trashed. They might as well be saying: "I'm pissed because you made me into everybody else!?!" If having to work two jobs to pay for college is "outrageous" and makes this man a "monster", then why is it no less monstrous for other people's kids to have to work their way through college? If it is "pure evil" to cause someone to live on Social Security as their only means of support, where is the moral outrage for those elderly people who are forced to live on it now having lost no investments because they had nothing to invest?

If Madoff is a monster because he caused these social conditions, then who will be the voice asking for justice for those people who live these social conditions every day? It would seem that many people understand that it should be a problem to have to work two jobs for college tuition -- but it only applies if they're the ones suffering from lack of a trust fund.

I just can't get as worked up over some of the Madoff victims when there are Americans who work just as hard and have to use food banks to supplement their diets. If what Madoff did was "monstrous" -- what do we call the condition those Americans are in?

-- DV

8 Comments:

Blogger JP said...

I know very little regarding the specifics of this case, but I agree with those who argue that Bernie Madoff has essentially become the scapegoat for the entire economic collapse. I wouldn't be surprised if there were a significant number of people who believe that Madoff alone CAUSED the housing crisis.

I mean, the guy's name is pronounced "MADE OFF." You can't get a better scapegoat for investors who made off with billions of dollars.

I also think there are folks who wish they'd thought of a ponzi scheme first. Everyone wants to get rich quick with no real work, but it's no good if someone ELSE does it. :)

Tuesday, 30 June, 2009  
Blogger Bright and Shiny! said...

Hi there! Been a long time but I love that I come back to the blog to find you explaining exactly why I've had such a hard time working up much sympathy for the Madoff "victims." In most cases, these people are better off now then I likely ever WILL be!

How ya been? How's the new job? I'm transferring from WSU to PSU to hopefully get better class options.

brunn :)

Tuesday, 30 June, 2009  
Blogger contemplator said...

Well, he did rip off people who I have more sympathy for. But the ones bitching loudest seem to be bitching about being as normal as the rest of us. I'm more interested in whether they think everybody else living the life they have to now live are in "monstrous" conditions as well, and what outrage they're prepared to express about that.


Brunn-y: You're not going to believe this, but I was thinking about you the day before you posted. I was getting ready to dig through my email and send you an "Are YOu ALIVE?!?" email! So glad to see you back!

Job is good. Does PSU mean what I think it means? As in, my Back Yard??

Wednesday, 01 July, 2009  
Blogger contemplator said...

JP: I noticed the irony about "Made off" myself. If you think that's hilarious, wait til you see an upcoming post of mine about a convicted murderer with a stupid defense who has an even better last name than that.

Wednesday, 01 July, 2009  
Blogger Unknown said...

They might as well be saying: "I'm pissed because you made me into everybody else!?!" If having to work two jobs to pay for college is "outrageous" and makes this man a "monster", then why is it no less monstrous for other people's kids to have to work their way through college?

Not everyone is rich because they're lucky.

Some families work harder and for longer than they have to, so that they become 'rich', so that their kids won't have to work their way through college. When their money is then erased and their kids have to work their way through college anyway, it means that that family just did twice as much work to be in the same place as a normal family.

Wednesday, 01 July, 2009  
Blogger contemplator said...

Andrew (are you "my" Drew by the way, or some other Andrew?): Let me reiterate first that I'm not saying people who lost money to Madoff shouldn't be pissed, nor am I saying they somehow deserved it. Madoff's victims ran the range from trust fund kids to charities to the old and sick.

I know some people aren't rich because they're lucky and because they worked hard. But I disagree with you 100% that they did "twice as much work" as normal families, though. That's a difficult one to prove, but you're certainly welcome to try.

Wednesday, 01 July, 2009  
Blogger Bright and Shiny! said...

Not unless you've moved to Portland, Oregon, lol! PSU up here is Portland State University - they're a real uni (as opposed to most of the "online degree" programs) that actually has decent classes at night and online. WSU was rapidly becoming a dead end, since I work full-time and just can't stop and take classes from 10-11:30 Monday-Wednesday-Friday!

I'm still waiting for the dub police to come after me, but so far so good. My parents even agreed to have a big family beach trip with my gay brother, his partner, my D.A.'s other brother and his girlfriend to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary - can you believe it! Though afterwards (and here's the irony) I was the one who got the "talking to" because I had Obama campaign stickers still on my car and therefore was "rubbing my mom's nose in it." *blink* Cause it's ALLLLLL about her! *sigh* oh well.

How goes the new job? Not so new anymore, huh, lol!

Wednesday, 01 July, 2009  
Blogger contemplator said...

Well, drats.

I'm completely relating to the "rubbing your nose it" crap. LOL. Sometimes even your very existence and the fact that you're not turning into a pillar of salt is "rubbing" their nose in it.

Job is going great -- so great they hired a second "me" and I'm currently helping train him. It's great to have some help. And I still hear from the students. I think it worked well. They are tracking us with numbers as of next semester, so that makes me a little nervous.

Wednesday, 01 July, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats