Sunday, April 30, 2006

Why I'm Never Buying A Cell Phone Again.

I thought life was much easier with a cell phone. It gave me confidence as a woman that wherever I was, the police were just a phone call away. Or if my car broke down on the side of the road, I could call help with ease. It made me feel safe.

Well, after having lived in this area of the country for, oh, going on a YEAR now, Cingular decided that I was "out of network. I see other people with Cingular phones, but never mind. So they sent me a lovely little paper that said, "After April such and so, we will no longer be your service provider because you are too expensive for us to carry out of network. Regretfully this happens in less than 1% of our customer base (go figure it would be me). We will of course not charge you for the remaining months on your contract (thanks, I think)." The End. No more Celly.

The termination coincided with an out of town trip where I couldn't pick up another one anyway because it would STILL be out of network. Plus I didn't have the random $200 and up to just plunk down on a new one. So I was sans-cell for a week after it was disconnected.

And I loved it.

I realized the feeling of being on call no matter if I was in the grocery store, the ladies' john or a meeting had mildly upped my stress level. Then there was the decoding of the thing: if it rings this way, I've got a new voicemail. If it buzzes and makes a "Ta-DAA" sound, I have a text message. If it starts playing the new Madonna song, that's my boss. If it starts playing the Calypso, that's my buddy in the Navy. If it starts playing the can-can, that's my best friend in Kentucky. If it plays "Hate It Or Love It (The Underdog's On Top)" (which sadly appeals to me in so many ways), it's a general phone call. GACK! I'm done with that.

The house seems quiet.

When I got my next paycheck, I didn't buy another one. I don't plan to. Half the time it doesn't work in the mountains, anyway.

6 Comments:

Blogger Andrea said...

I still don't have one...never have, and probably never will. I'm probably the last person on the planet without one. Even my pentecostal 84-year-old grandmother has one!

Sunday, 30 April, 2006  
Blogger samuel said...

I had one for about a month when an exboss decided his managers had a communication problem. Then he saw how much they cost and took them back.

Sunday, 30 April, 2006  
Blogger mull-berry said...

We just got a couple of cell phones ... on a "family" plan. I plan on using them to get the boys aquainted with using them with just us. We are, however, thinking of downsizing to just one car!

Tuesday, 02 May, 2006  
Blogger contemplator said...

Cell phones are cheaper than home phone service.

I'd love to downsize to one car, but we're too rural to have access to a good transportation system. Plus, with my job I have to scoot around all over two counties. I'd sure love to only pay for gas and insurance for one car though!

Tuesday, 02 May, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why can't you write "ladies' jane". Or, being politically correct, just leave the sex issue aside and call it "the head". And while I'm on that subject how did our society ever come to associate the place of gastrointestinal relief with such a common, if dull, name?

Thursday, 04 May, 2006  
Blogger contemplator said...

silentbanjo: not really sure why we have dull names for the loo. Guess we want to get in and get out without really thinking about it. I normally just call it the crapper, so, I guess take from that what you will.

Thursday, 04 May, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats