Saturday, May 06, 2006

Family Scams in Three Parts: Part 3

OK. Last installment of my mom's scams. This one she's quite worked up about, as another member of the family is working on running this scam as well.

Seems as though someone recently sued Oakridge, TN's nuke plant because they claim it messed them up but good. This person got a couple of million dollars. Well, my aunt, who is always on the hunt for a good scam and is currently scamming HUD and the welfare office and any other number of related agencies knows some man (read is sleeping with) who worked at Oakridge as a security guard and is trying to cash in on the same ticket the actual *injured* person rode out on.

The man has worked there all of a week.

So Mom's wheels start spinning.
You know, Virgil, your grandfather worked at Oakridge for a few years during the war and he died of cancer.
He also smoked two packs of cigarettes a day, Mom.
Yes. And he did work there. And he did die of cancer.
He died of lung cancer, Mom, and he had emphysema. From the cigarettes.
Well, the money wouldn't go to me anyway, it would go to you and Sister. (I think this was supposed to make me interested in it.)
Mom, I just don't see how they can rule that Papa died of cancer from exposure at Oakridge when he worked there 60 years ago and he smoked two packs a day. And he had emphysema.
And you know, Grandma worked there for a little while, too!
And she lived into her 80s. And she didn't have cancer.
But she did work there.
Mom!
Well, when Aunt finds out it works, I told her to give me the number of the lawyer.

Sheesh. Why she suddenly wants more money when she's not in financial trouble or need I have no idea. My only guess is more plastic surgery. She probably doesn't want to take out another loan.

--Virgil

4 Comments:

Blogger Frankie said...

You have my sympathies. Knock on wood, I don't have any family members that act this way. I don't know what I'd do.

Good thing you can blog about it -- free therapy.

Saturday, 06 May, 2006  
Blogger samuel said...

I live very very close to Oak Ridge. They've just generated their first neutrons at their new (and currently world's largest) Spallation Neurton Source.
That has nothing to do with your mom or scams, but it is pretty cool.

Sunday, 07 May, 2006  
Blogger Andrea said...

You know, I live even CLOSER to Oakridge and I often think about your Mom's "concern." Mostly, I'm glad I'm so close because when the 'shit' goes down, I'm close enough to die quick...I'd rather not live long enough to suffer. But seriously, my MIL, a ps teacher, talks about an unofficial survey numbering the ps teachers teaching closest to Oakridge (nearing retiring age) that have cancer. She herself is a breast cancer survivor.

As for your mom, I'm sorry for you. It's pretty damn entertaining, though, and I hate that you're only listing three scams!

Sunday, 07 May, 2006  
Blogger contemplator said...

OH LORDLESS!! Mom is 1/8th Cherokee Indian. My son has both Cherokee and Seminole Indian in his line. Just for shits and giggles, I think I'll mention this study innocently to her, and see how much mileage she burns off of it...

I'm a masochist, I know.

Monday, 08 May, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats