Tuesday, May 02, 2006

"Shortstuff"

My son is playing baseball for the first time this year. He is in boy heaven.

His uniform is purple, and he plays or practices 4 days a week. He's had three games so far, and his team has won all three. So we haven't had to talk about losing yet, although I'm sure we will. I wonder how he'll take it?

He's not been struck out yet, although he has been thrown out a few times on base. Last night, according to reports, he ran home on somebody else's hit, leaving a dusty wake. His coach called his running "scary". He should've seen him as a toddler, running like a bull at Pamplona, head down, barreling away for all he was worth. Now THAT, sir, is scary.

I should be able to see a few games before his short season is over. According to his father, in some practices he and a little girl run around trying to put grass in each other's hair. According to Dante, it's just the little girl because she has a crush on him. In his games, he is apparently deadly serious.

I asked him what position he played. Silence. He has no clue. So I tried to describe it geographically--are you behind third base out in the grass??--and he says, "Well, in practice, I sort of stand behind second base and one of the coaches keeps calling me 'shortstuff'. I don't like that."

Ohhh. Shortstop. In real games, he's in the outfield with about 5 other kids, trying to keep out of the way of those that "know" how to play baseball, probably all giggling and trying to put grass in each other's hair.

2 Comments:

Blogger Andrea said...

I love it! Twin boy is playing for the first time, well, he's mostly playing in the dirt. He's even picked flowers in the outfield and brought them to me during the game. Don't you love knowing they are having so much fun?

I can't wait, for you, until you get to see a game!!

Tuesday, 02 May, 2006  
Blogger contemplator said...

As soon as I get pictures, I'll post them. I'm told there's video as well in case I don't get to make a game before the season's over.

Tuesday, 02 May, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats