Sunday, May 21, 2006

A Small Rant on Former Friends

I have a pet peeve with people who claim to be friends purposely falling off of the radar. It's not that I require people to keep me informed up to the minute every minute. My dearest friend and I speak every 6 weeks at best. But I know that she cares, and I know that she's busy. This is different.

I think this guy, who recently began attending an Ivy-league graduate school, has decided that he has a new hep set of friends that we don't fit into. Something more Ivy-league, better travelled and dressed, more up on the intellectual snobbery of the field. I can't help that I'm more proletariat in blue jeans. I can still debate with the best of them. And he isn't as intellectual as he thinks he is.

I do know that he's been a guest of my home, I've fed him and drank with him (and in the South, you're practically kin after that), talked out deep thoughts and smoked pot with him, we kept him right after Hurricane Katrina wiped his home out, and that we tried to contact him many times afterward. Through the grapevine he's doing his little Ivy league thing with a new crowd. We don't even get a response to a simple email. On top of him knowing what we've been going through as a family recently, well, that kind of behavior just sucks. Whatever.

True friends are precious and few and far between. I don't like feeling like a commodity. So, you're done being a werewolf, bud. R.I.P. Robin.

--Virgil

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats