Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Who Falls For This Crap?

I've been getting over twenty emails a day that look something like this:

Dear partner,
In order to transfer out an ungodly amount of money from our bank here in Whereever, the owner of this account is Mr Somebody, a foreigner and the manager of something here in somewhere, blah, blah, blah, the man died, the amount involved is a billion gazillion dollars. I want to transfer this money into a safe foreign account abroad blah, blah, give me all your vital info, Thanks Mr David Nelson

Appealing to an atheist through your belief in God is probably going to get you nowhere. "Mr David Nelson" continues to send me this email 2-3 times a day.

But these are my favorites so far:

They all start with MY DEAR in the heading. Then the general formula is as follows,

I am the above named person from whatever country. I am married to Some Man who worked with Some Bizzaro Company in some Foreign Country for nine years before he died blah, blah, We had a child, He died after a brief illness. Before his death,we were both born again Christian.Since his death, I decided not to remarry or get a child outside my matrimonial home which the Bible is against.When my late husband was alive he left the sum of a gajillion billion dollars.

OK, then she blabs on about how she trusts me to use this money to help Christian children, blah, blah, blah and throws scriptures at me. What mailing list did a hard core atheist like me end up on??

All of the emails are spelled incorrectly and poorly worded. I was ignoring them, but now I'm pissed. So I hit reply and I usually put "How dare you scam people. I'm reporting you to the federal authorities. Fuck you with a hand grenade." And it makes me feel better, partly because I feel like I'm spamming them right back.

Has our country's climate changed so much that scammers are now appealing to fundies? Or is it that they think fundies are so very gullible? {snicker}

4 Comments:

Blogger Doc said...

99% of the time, the people who fall for these scams are (drumroll please!)

Christians.

Christians are also the reason we need an organization like Snopes. Believing in the bible pretty much sets you up to believe anything, you know?

Wednesday, 24 May, 2006  
Blogger contemplator said...

Snopes. Heh, heh, heh. I've even seen fundies quote from Snopes on accident.

Thursday, 25 May, 2006  
Blogger Sandra said...

I get those same messages at work every day too. Our spam blockers can hold them off for a few weeks if I mark every one of them spam. But then they change things around and start breaking through again. So annoying. I truly can not believe anyone would fall for them. Absurd. I love Snopes, what a great site. I have received the Amber Alert for "Penny Brown" so many times and enjoy sending the sender the link to Snopes.

Thursday, 25 May, 2006  
Blogger Heather said...

Is it possible these scammers are just taking example from the thousands of Christian Help Somebody (usually me) telethons? These telethons and fundraisers bring in millions and millions of dollars. I find it hard to feel sorry for people who are scammed by their own stupidity.

Thursday, 25 May, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats