Saturday, June 03, 2006

I Have Failed

I can find nothing online or in real life that has helped to persuade my mother not to have her facelift on Tuesday. All the websites I've found say there's virtually no complications. Sure, the possiblity of nerve damage. But rarely. Very rarely.

I find that so hard to believe. This is a six hour surgery that requires an overnight stay in the hospital. It's bound to be more complicated than that. Most of the sites seem reputable, but they're all run by surgeons' groups or hospitals. I'm not saying they're dishonest. But they certainly have something to gain by downplaying the negatives.

I've even called the state board that supposedly certifies and/or penalizes doctors who malpractice. They have no idea how I would find out if Mom's doctor would've had a suit filed againt him. WTF? They even suggested I call his lawyer to find out that information. I'm sure that the lawyer will be eager to tell me whether his client is a lawsuit risk or not.

All I seem to be able to find are anecdotal horror stories. And Mom won't believe that. So, apart from purposefully driving her elsewhere or calling the hospital and telling them she's one of those people who die from anethesia--all of which would just piss her off at me anway--we're back to square one.

My ace in the hole--the new vague blood policy Jehovah's Witnesses have adopted--got blown out of the water already. She simply told the doctor she was a Witness and had issues with taking blood, he said, yes, he understood, he'd worked on Witnesses before. And that was that for her. Apart from the fact that I found it funny that he's worked on Witnesses (vanity, anyone?), he can't understand the new blood policy, because Witnesses don't even understand it themselves.

So, like the good daughter I am, I've packed my things and my book to read during her six hour surgery, and I'll be taking care of her the rest of the week. No matter the crap that she spewed at me when I was younger. No matter the fact that she disowned me 2 weeks before I was due to give birth to her only grandchild. No matter what a "disappointment" I may have been, being college educated, a good mother, a good person, and an EX-Jehovah's Witness. When she needs something, look who's here.

At least there'll be plenty to blog about. And at least I'll get to see Dante again. ::Sigh::

5 Comments:

Blogger Jo said...

People like your mom just floor me. After having to be hacked open, poked, and prodded so much for cancer I can't imagine WANTING to get surgeries just for the hell of it. It seems almost like a sickness if you know what I mean.

Maybe it's because I'm on the other end of the spectrum and never get to actually choose (unless I want to die of course) whether or not to be cut up. Maybe that's why I don't get people like your mom who get plastic surgery and constantly volunteer to go under the knife (well numerous times..hopefully you know what I mean and it doesn't sound like I'm slamming on your mom. LOL).

The women should take pride in her wrinkles. It means she has lived life. There are some people who won't live long enough to have wrinkles or gray hair (adults and children alike). It's a badge of honor and it's too bad she doesn't see it that way.

It's like stretchmarks after you give birth. They ain't purty but dammit we earned them! LOL.

What book are you taking to read?

Saturday, 03 June, 2006  
Blogger Sandra said...

You are a good daughter. It's all you can do. Hang in there.
:)

Saturday, 03 June, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"""My ace in the hole--the new vague blood policy Jehovah's Witnesses have adopted--got blown out of the water already...""

Some educational links provided below:

http://www.ajwrb.org/ Jehovah Witness blood policy reform site

http://www.towertotruth.net/Articles/blood_transfusions.htm dissident site
-----

I am Danny Haszard Bangor Maine Ex JW best wishes for your mother!If you would like to email me: jehovahinfo@yahoo.com

Sunday, 04 June, 2006  
Blogger contemplator said...

The book is The History of Sexuality by Foucault (for grad school). And all of my short story collection for another round of editing and submitting (for rejection letters--I collect them. Eye roll.)

Tuesday, 06 June, 2006  
Blogger Michelle L. said...

You are a good daughter. I am sure it was hard to support her in this surgery, but you did it anyway which speaks a lot about your character.

Note: new blog addy-www.evilmissyrants.blogspot.com

Friday, 09 June, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats