Tuesday, June 06, 2006

The Most Draining Day I've Had In A While

As I type this from the hospital kiosk, let me just say that this has been one of the most draining days I've had in a while. And I think it's really selfish to put people through power of attorney and living will issues for something so superficial. I even cried, watching her go off on a stretcher, looking so helpless in her gown. But the hard part isn't over yet--that's recovery. I'm so incredibly tired, I can't even depress the space bar properly. ::sigh::

And also, I've realized that the secretive nature of this operation has kept me from having the support of extended family that I really needed. So incredibly selfish. Perhaps I won't think so when I've slept for more than about 4 hours.

5 Comments:

Blogger Sandra said...

Wow. I am impressed with your effort. She is lucky to have you. It would be really so much harder to support her without being able to talk about it. It seems like a hard secret to keep! Hang in there and I wish you well.

Tuesday, 06 June, 2006  
Blogger contemplator said...

That's the thing--it's a big secret. What if she were to die? No one would've even known that she was having surgery! Everyone else in the waiting room was there with boatloads of family. There was pretty much just me until Sister came for a while. It would've been great to have one of my aunts there to spell me and give me a little rest.

I understand her privacy concerns, but my general stance is if you ain't proud of it, you probably shouldn't be doing it. Say you're doing it for yourself and screw what everybody else thinks. Of course, that's just me.

Monday, 12 June, 2006  
Blogger Sandra said...

Glad to see you back. Yes, I think your statement about hiding it is true. If you have to hide it, you probably shouldn't be doing it. I assume she is okay now that you're back. Take care!

Tuesday, 13 June, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So how is your mother now?

Monday, 26 June, 2006  
Blogger contemplator said...

She's hiding her stitches with her hair and pretending that no one has noticed a thing. She says it's the best thing she's ever done for herself. So I guess it's a rousing success. Only cost me a little sanity.

And how many permutations of your name will I get to see, anyway? :)

Monday, 26 June, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats