Thursday, September 07, 2006

Tag! I'm It!

I've been tagged by The Atheist Mama on the book meme. Pretty appropriate for me, actually.

A book that changed my life
Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged. Although I eventually outgrew Objectivism, I still love Ayn Rand's work.

A book I’ve read more than once
The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas

A book I would take with me if I were stuck on a desert island
Thich Nhat Hanh's The Miracle of Mindfulness

A book that made me laugh
Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Sheer genius.

A book that made me cry
Flowers for Algernon--a book I read in high school about a man with a mental disability written from his perspective. He undergoes intelligence enhancing, like the experimental lab mouse Algernon, and throughout the book goes from improvement to being worse off than before he started treatment, and the writing is just brilliant. As he starts to fall backward into mental incompetence, I was completely in tears.

A book that I wish had been written
A book of Appalachian stories written from a modern day perspective. Any stories about my region of the world inevitably tend to be mythic, set back in the "good old days". Nobody wants to touch the way things are now. Although, if you want anything done, sometimes you have to do it yourself... ;)

A book that I wish had never been written
I tend to think that all books have merit, even if they're evil (Mein Kampf comes to mind). There's something to learn from the making of them, if nothing else.

A book I’ve been meaning to read
This list is really too long to go into. In my field, you can never read enough. There's always one more work to go over or one more voice in the field. I guess if I think of it from a pleasure perspective, I've still got D.H. Lawrence's Sons and Lovers that I haven't had the time to crack the cover on, but always mean to.

I’m currently reading
Well, there are books for every aspect of my life, I guess.
Society Must Be Defended by Foucault
A book on the pedagogy of teaching
50/50 Management for my work at the nonprofit
A shockingly thick spiral bound study on the current trends in illiteracy
The Mitford Sisters, a biography that I'm finding fascinating but just can't seem to find time for

Blogs I’m tagging:
I'm tagging Barbie, just because I know she'll have something uttlerly brilliant to say about it.
I'm tagging Audrey, because I like her mind and what she puts in it.
I'm tagging Jo because I absolutely love her, and whatever she reads must be a hoot.
I'm tagging Kari because she just got finished with college and now has time to read whatever she wants to instead of what she has to.
Finally, I'm going to tag Sandra. I'd love to know what she reads.

12 Comments:

Blogger Frankie said...

I really liked your answer to a book you wish had not been written. It really made me think about being judgmental -- because I had an immediate response to that question.

Saturday, 09 September, 2006  
Blogger Jo said...

Oh you rotten thing! This is the one I've been avoiding doing and you finally got me. LOL.

I'll think of the answers this weekend and post on Monday. ;)

And I love you too girl! mwah

Saturday, 09 September, 2006  
Blogger contemplator said...

frankie: that book wouldn't happen to be a certain manual on child "care" and discipline, would it? I almost thought about naming it.

Saturday, 09 September, 2006  
Blogger contemplator said...

Aww! I always wanted a t-shirt that said "Who is John Galt?" I saw one on campus in my undergrad days.

Are you an Objectivist now? That'd be a great conversation to have. We just seem to have more and more in common...

Sunday, 10 September, 2006  
Blogger Sandra said...

trust me, my responses will not as sophisticated as yours. you are the first person who has ever tagged me, but i like you, so i'll play. i just found this today, i'll try to finish it tomorrow. :)

Monday, 11 September, 2006  
Blogger contemplator said...

Sandra, I didn't tag you on your own blog, because when I hopped over there I saw how full your hands were. You don't have to play if you don't want to. :)

Sophisticated? Ptooey!

Monday, 11 September, 2006  
Blogger Sandra said...

i played. it was a good reprieve to clear my head and think about something i love. thank the universe for books! i didn't tag people on their own blogs. i didn't know that was how you did it. do i just leave a comment on their most recent post?

Monday, 11 September, 2006  
Blogger Sandra said...

okay, scratch that, i get it, going to go tag people now.
:)

Monday, 11 September, 2006  
Blogger contemplator said...

sandra: I liked your choices. But I have to say that Atlas Shrugged was probably more life changing to the 20 year old that I was than it would be to the 29 year old that I am today. :D

Monday, 11 September, 2006  
Blogger Frankie said...

Yes, ma'am, it was -- definitely not a pearl of a book. Had I not read that, though, (or the first chapter) I wouldn't know how "they" think, so it was empowering to me in that sense. I had never thought about it in your terms, so thanks for "opening my mind."

Monday, 11 September, 2006  
Blogger Sandra said...

thanks for your input then. i'll have to think about that one. hate to start a mammoth book that i will have finish for the effort already put in if it's not working for me.. maybe i'll ask around some more.

Monday, 11 September, 2006  
Blogger Jo said...

Okay woman, I did it! :p

Tuesday, 12 September, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats