Thursday, April 06, 2006

Confessions of an Ex-Jehovah's Witness

I've been stewing over Jehovah's Witness related events recently. My 10 year exit anniversary is coming up in June. Even though nearly a decade has past, I realize that there are a few things I haven't gotten over yet. And I wonder if I ever will.

One is the exquisite pain and betrayal of my mother in this situation. I've excused it every which way, because she's my *mother*. She means well, I say, she doesn't really understand what she's doing, she's lonely and tired and sorrowful, and she's just lashing out that things in her life aren't better. Well. Still. That doesn't give her the right to treat us as untouchables.

I still can't believe I was in a cult. I have to say it to myself over and over again to make it seem real. Jehovah's Witnesses are a cult. The fact that most of their believers have no idea of what goes on or has gone on in the Society is only one of many proofs that they're a cult. For a long time I would say that they were cultISH, but not commit fully to the idea that they were a cult. They are a cult.

I have what I refer to as an "Armegeddon Complex". It works like this. The time of the end is coming SOON, like next week, maybe. So you have to hurry and get in everything while you can before it all goes up in flames.

Some day to day expressions of the Armegeddon Complex include the following:

1. Scheduling three times more activities into your day than you can possibly do.

2. An greatly increased chance of high risk behavior (why not smoke and drink it up and screw your health into a wad? It isn't going to matter in the end anyway). When I went to college, I did a double degree while working full time with a child under 5. I was also in several groups I either joined or started. I didn't do this because I was an overachiever. I did it because the phrase "life is short" goes double for ex-Witnesses. I have ex-JW friends who do all kinds of high risk behaviors from incredibly dangerous personal behavior to bungee jumping. For some of them they can't feel anything unless it's risky.

3. Armegeddon Complex also means that you'll probably have nightmares about the time of the end. I did. Although mine would end up on the comical side, they were pretty freaky. Picture every overbearing elder you've ever met looming around you in your dream which ends with a demon musical song and dance. Looney bin, here we come.

4. It also means you continually look back on your life and ask "Have I done enough?" And the answer to that question is always NO. Because it's drilled into you at meetings--the end is near, are YOU doing enough for Jehovah? And there, too, the answer is always NO. So it's hard to feel satisfied when you're outside the organization, but still have Armegeddon Complex.

5. And last, I'd have to say that there is always this inner feeling of being late for something. And this is truly the most annoying part of a contracted illness like the Armegeddon Complex. It's like you're always running behind. The psychological tick is probably that you feel like you're running OUT of time, or something. I hate Armegeddon Complex.

Next to last, I lived with an unconcious fear of being apostasized. For new people who don't know what that is, search my blog for Apostofest. It wasn't really that I feared being branded a lesser imp of Satan. More that it severed whatever ties are left with your family, pretty much for good unless they come to their senses. This caused me to lay low. I just didn't want trouble. Now I'm sorry I didn't make trouble. I may make trouble yet. The very fact that I haven't turned into a pillar of salt is troubling for some.

And last, and this is going to be funny to some people, I have real physical trouble saying the words "peace and security" together. There's a scripture in the New Testament that reads something like, "and when it is that the nations will declare 'peace and security', that is when destruction will be instantly upon them." Or something like that. Anyway, in Witness mythology, it marks the start of the times of tribulation that culminate in Armegeddon. When I was a teenager and heard Bill Clinton say "peace and security" on the radio once, I nearly pissed my pants. Now, I literally trip over my tongue when I try to say them together. I try never to say them together. It makes me look like I have a speech impediment.

--Virgil

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What we know about the Watchtower cult of greed.

We know the Watch Tower Corporation uses conventions to introduce new products to the sales staff. There will be new products introduced.

We know the Watch Tower Corporation is a multi media production and printing company, and we know all conventions are ONLY for the purpose of promoting the Watch Tower Corporation and raising funds for the Watch Tower Corporation.

They produce books, tapes, CD's, and videos. Their main business is soliciting donations, both door to door from strangers and from their own members at Watch Tower Corporation sponsored meetings. Their second cash producing business is sponsoring events and conventions and collecting donations at those. The third equity business is the real estate development and speculating business.

A huge sub business is the soliciting and managing of the proceeds of wills, trusts, and cash assets of loyal members. This is their lowest road and they pursue it with impunity.

Friday, 07 April, 2006  
Blogger contemplator said...

So true, Danny. When my Sister and Mom were arguing about the fact that Sister was never coming back to the cult, Mom said something about it not being biblical to put your family before God.

Sister responded with, "You're not putting us before God. You're putting the Organization before us." Mom didn't really have a reply, but she's not used to thinking of the Organization as unnecessary to a relationship with God. After all, inside meetings we're taught that we can't fully access God's World without having it translated/mitigated/explained to us by his faithful "servant" the organization.

It isn't about God. It's about the Organization.

Friday, 07 April, 2006  
Blogger Andrea said...

I belive ALL organized religions are cults. I don't know a lot about Jehovah's Witness, but I know what my religious upbringing did to me (pentecostal). And, the saddest part is seing my grandparents (85 years +)being so obviously un-exposed to parts of the world and "life" in general. I know there is a generational gap, but it's 90% religion/cult that's kept them "ignorant" (for lack of a better word).

Friday, 07 April, 2006  
Blogger contemplator said...

You know, kixque, I think that's the main thing that gets me about religion in general. The focus seems to be on restriction of everything, especially free thinking. Genuine belief and faith should stand up to critical inquiry. I find it fairly insulting that we can't be trusted to read a book and make up our own minds about it because we're too spritually frail to not be twisted around by the devil.

Pentecostal. Ever see anybody speak in tongues? Did you guys handle snakes?--those Pentecostalists are getting rare nowadays.

Friday, 07 April, 2006  
Blogger Andrea said...

Speaking in tongues...VERY often! Handling snakes...no, not that type of Pentecostal. I did have a college sociology professor that had spent years studying that type and had documented by photo and video a lot of cool stuff. I'll see if I can find a link to his research. He had a lot of good insight.

Saturday, 08 April, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats