Sunday, July 09, 2006

Happy Birthday, Dante!

Happy Birthday, boy! When we first met, I was scared to death and too stubborn to let anyone see it. We've both grown, haven't we? I can wear your shoes now (::shock::) and you can tell a good joke. We had a rough patch of a year, this past one. But you're so much happier now--present moping about the birthday party excluded. And I confess that I'm happier, too. Not because you're gone and living elsewhere. But because I always said that the only thing I ever wanted for you was to be happy. (And literate, but I don't say that part too loudly around you.)

You are turning into a very kind and strongwilled boy. I know where the stubborn gene comes from (sorry, about 400 years worth). I'm not really sure where the kind part came from, except that I was always kind to you and shared everything I had with you. But you are already more of a humanitarian than I am.

This past year you've played baseball for the first time--and helped your team make second place! You were in your first play (even though it was a church play, I didn't mind--you barely noticed). You finally made an "A" in spelling, for which Daddy gets a gold star. And you moved away from me.

But we made it, didn't we? We didn't come apart like I thought we would. My life didn't stop in its tracks, although I really wanted to for a few months. And you just got better and better. I can't wait to see what you do with this coming year.

I know your birthday wish was for Gameboy games, which I've granted. My birthday wish for you, which I made right before I left you with Daddy, was for you to be a happy boy, which you are. Oh, and that you'd want books for your birthday--and lo and behold, you finally asked me for a book for your birthday! Stop the presses, Dante actually wants to read!

Happy Birthday, Dante!
Love, Virgil

3 Comments:

Blogger Jo said...

Happy Belated Birthday Dante and Happy Belated BIRTHday, mama. ;)

Tuesday, 11 July, 2006  
Blogger Andrea said...

Happy belated from here too!

Tuesday, 11 July, 2006  
Blogger Sandra said...

Dante is so lucky to have a kind and understanding mother like you.

Happy Birthday, Dante!

Wednesday, 12 July, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats