Friday, December 08, 2006

Step Back, People. No, Further Back.

I have had a multi-emotional and ridiculously involved past few days. Which makes finishing the work I have left to do rather difficult. A very sarcastic thank you to all those involved. I'll spare you the details, but suffice it to say that I would really rather not be disturbed just now. I feel like a wet cat. And I'm about as aggravated as one. My master plan is to shut myself away for a while and get my own business done for a change.

But not before I relate the conversation that happened between me and one Ms. Walker, of the gas company my mother so graciously tried to sell out to were it not for my stubborn grandmother. If you're new to the story, just follow the links. So she finally calls last night (one of several calls that should've probably never happened). Immediately she's running over top of me with her words. I hate to be talked over. I don't mind being interrupted. But I hate to be talked over. She proceded to tell me all about the death in the family, how cold it's been, what a sweet person my mother is (??!!?), how she knows what it's like to work two jobs, blah-blah-blabbity-blab. All in an attempt to establish a rapport with me so she can jerk the land out from under us.

She starts telling me all about the money and so on. I know that's what you told my mother. But she misunderstood a few things that you told her that isn't in the contract. No she didn't. This woman tells me. I think I would know if my mother got it wrong. So I rephrase it. OK, I have some problems with the contract. Maybe you could clear it up for me. OK, honey, you go right ahead. Well, Mom seems to think that all you're going to do is drill a small hole. But the contract says you can build a gas plant on here if you want to. No it doesn't. Yes it does. No it doesn't, I've seen the contract myself. Do you have a copy of it? Yes. OK. Get it out and I'll show you. Alright. Now where does it say that? Under the first provision: "the exclusive right of [...]electrical lines, tanks, power houses, stations, gasoline plants, gas treatment plants, ponds and roadways and fixtures..." Silence. All we want to do is drill an 8 inch hole in the ground and run some pipes. But you could do more if you wanted to. No we couldn't. The contract says you can. We don't go by the rest of what's on that contract. But you could if you wanted to. And it would stand up in court. Silence. Well, you can just mark that out. ??? I don't think that's legal. It is if I initial it. ???If you say so. First I've heard of it.

Skipping to the next lovely part of the conversation:

What concerns me the most is number 20. Maybe you could explain to me what it means when it says "the lessor and the lessor's heirs, successors and assigns hereby surrender and release all rights of dower and homestead in the Premises herein described." All we want to do is drill an 8 inch hole--But what does "dower & homestead" mean? Oh, in our office that just means the gas rights. But what does it legally mean? Silence. Well, let's get a dictionary and look it up. Yes, lets. She reads very poorly from the dictionary. One of the definitions of which says "land and inheritance." So, basically the land. Yes. Mom said you told her they couldn't touch the land. They can't. This says they can. But they won't. Who says so? I do. But that's not a legal and binding agreement. This contract is. Yes. And it says we sign over the rights to the land. Look. All we want to do is drill an 8 inch hole--Yes, you keep saying that. But you could do more than that, if you wanted to. But we don't want to. We'll never be interested in that. But the contract is for the life of the land. So what if you're bought out. And the company that buys you out decides they DO want to do something with the land? My heirs are basically screwed. Silence. Well, you can just mark all of that out. Would that make you happy??

I bit my tongue here.

It all ended with her claiming she'd check with "Rob", whatever power authority Rob is, and call me back. I told her I would be extremely busy until Wednesday, so if I didn't answer not to take it personally.

Meh. I hope at least it put a candle up her ass. Damned land rapists.

-- Virgil

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you for standing your "ground". I'd almost be tempted (if I had the time) to go to her office and have her mark out all those points and initial it and then have it notarized with her. That way an 8-inch hole will always remain an 8-inch hole and show her that people are not as stupid as they seem to think. It would serve her right.

Friday, 08 December, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agreed with Bambi (for once).

Continue to stand your ground, like a crusty World War II General. Do not let the enemy make any advances. Prepare for a counter-strike.

Saturday, 09 December, 2006  
Blogger contemplator said...

The lady doesn't realize that she's dealing with nearly 400 years worth of genetics. Those genetics dictate that we usually die stubbornly on our own land.

I was so aggravated I was two steps away from burning everything down to the ground in a fury.

My new plan is to figure out how to make it some kind of wildlife protected reserve and lock that bitch up for a thousand years.

Saturday, 09 December, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, you don't need to lock me up honey, I'll stay willingly. 8-)

Oh - the white woman speak with forked tongue bitch! Why waste your time on her sugar when you've got me?

Saturday, 09 December, 2006  
Blogger contemplator said...

LOL. Alright, honey. You can roam free on my land. I'm just making sure those evil mineral boss people can't get at you. :)

Saturday, 09 December, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you considered consulting an attoney?

Monday, 11 December, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh boy do you know how to make me prance. :D


(Bit of trivia - Did you know that Natural Gas prices have nearly tripled while Bush has been dicking around in Iraq?)

oh and it's an 8 inch hole if they don't find anything - otherwise it's a bit like this. (and they need something like that to look in the first place.)

http://img.search.com/7/72/300px-Natural_gas_rig.jpg

Monday, 11 December, 2006  
Blogger contemplator said...

I have considered an attorney, and I've considered how much they cost. If I can spot the flaw in the slaw with the contract, it'll save us the money.

Plus, Mom's backed wa-ay off the idea. So it's likely dead in the water anyway.

Monday, 11 December, 2006  
Blogger contemplator said...

nameless dots & dashes: curiosity killed the cat, sweety.

Tuesday, 12 December, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really, so you murder people who learn your hot, indulgent, bohemian secrets?

Tuesday, 12 December, 2006  
Blogger contemplator said...

Bohemian secrets? Hot and indulgent, I can see. But Bohemian??

Tuesday, 12 December, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suppose your'e right.

Tuesday, 12 December, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats