Monday, April 10, 2006

The OT Puts the "Fun" in Fundy!

Of all the things I like to poke at about the Bible, the best thing has to be the Old Testament. If you ever want to get a God Botherer going, point out the bizzaro behavior that goes on in the OT, and watch the excuses fly. For some fantastic examples, check out the Evil Bible link on my sidebar.

If the God Botherer is more liberated, they'll tell you that the first part of the Bible is mythology. Which begs so many questions that one barely knows where to begin. If the person is more Fundy by nature, well, that's even more fun to play around with. For example: why does God allow incest between Lot and his daughters, when the OT clearly says that is a punishable sin? These, by the way, are presumably the same daughters he offered to the crowd who came to his door asking to "know" the angel visitors. Fortunately, they end up only raping some maid servants who were pushed out the door. Whom, I guess, Lot steps over on his way out the same door to avoid fire and brimstone raining like Tennessee hail down on Sodom and Gomorrah.

If the preceding example is too complicated for them to handle, simply ask...where did Cain get his wife??

--Virgil

2 Comments:

Blogger Andrea said...

You know, the one about where Cain got his wife never got "answered" for me. I guess that's when I started having bigger concerns about what I was being told to believe. The fact that I couldn't get answers to my unwelcomed questions was a big, big problem. How dare I question!

Wednesday, 12 April, 2006  
Blogger contemplator said...

Yes, Sister, which brother was it we were descendents of as the European peoples? Was it Japheth?

It's always been ironic to me, kixque, that the NT has a scripture that says basically "question everything people are trying to teach you to see whether it is true" (of course this was said by the same man who then yells "but stay away from those Epicureans", LOL), but when you DO question things, that's a big fat no no.

Thursday, 13 April, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats